First Cob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

coach

Fist corn cob. Turned out ok. Will be better next time.

200552632953_corncob1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Looks pretty good from here Coach! Much better than the ones I turned then decided weren't worth putting a kit on!

Fangar

Looks great Coach. I have 5 cobbs that I just pulled out of my stabilization jar (vacuum poly) today. They were out in the sun all day, and will be again tomorrow. Maybe Saturday I will try one out. I hope it looks as nice as yours.

James

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Kind of hard to tell from the picture how it turned out.
One suggestion is try to have the camera parallel to the angle of the pen unless you are trying to make the pen look like the part closest to the camea is 5 ft. long.
Tripods are fairly cheap .
Another thing is to use the viewer on the camera to "frame" it and use the timer so there is no "shaking" when you "snap" the picture.
try also taking the picture with different settings, flash,/no flash, resolutions,natural light .
when you down load the picture you can look up the properties and it will tell you what you used and you can try to use those setings on the next pen pictures you take.
I have found if I take a picture in the highest resoltion I am able to with my 2 meg 2 yr old Kodak,I can resize it easily with "resiz pictures" from windows power toys.
I am not a good photographer by any means.But I do try to take clear pictures depicting the final pen.
It seems the new fad to post pictures with pretty backdrops, sometimes different effects.
When a picture is posted I am more interested in seeing how the fit and finish looks rather than a "catologuge" image.
It's nice if you can accomplish both in the same picture but if I can only have a choice of one I would rather have a clear picture of the pen than pretty back drops.
After all, when posting a picture on this forum, the pen is the issue not the backdrop.
I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just an observation.

hobby_dale

Nice looking from here coach. Great job!

Nils, no need to look any further than your nearest grocery store for a cob. Get a fresh ear, cook, eat and then turn! What could be better than that? [:D][:D]

nilsatcraft

Is there a required drying time or anything? Any special work required while on the lathe or is it as simple as cutting it up, drilling, gluing, turning, etc.? I would imagine it'd be best to wait a day or two after eating the cob before using it, especially if it was just boiled, right? I'm gonna have to try this! I'll add it to my list of IAP recommended fun stuff [:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Nils, you don't use sweet corn that you eat for these pens... you use what is called field corn... it is for animal feed and usually dried on the stalk before harvest...
If you were to try sweet corn that you boiled and ate, the boiling would ruin the pith and make the cob virtually unusable for turning, and would take forever to dry..
You can purchase squirrel feed corn at WalMart or a pet supply store and then just have to shuck the kernals off with your fingers... But don't do that outside and forget to pick them up unless you want a field corn patch in your backyard.... or hundreds of squirrels feeding there... LOL

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by nilsatcraft
<br />Is there a required drying time or anything? Any special work required while on the lathe or is it as simple as cutting it up, drilling, gluing, turning, etc.? I would imagine it'd be best to wait a day or two after eating the cob before using it, especially if it was just boiled, right? I'm gonna have to try this! I'll add it to my list of IAP recommended fun stuff [:D]

Originally posted by hobby_dale
<br />Nice looking from here coach. Great job!

Nils, no need to look any further than your nearest grocery store for a cob. Get a fresh ear, cook, eat and then turn! What could be better than that? [:D][:D]

There are a lot of great articles under the articles section on the home page.
Here's one of them.
http://www.penturners.org/content/CornCobPen.pdf

alamocdc

Nils, I pick at least a dozen or more a year out of my yard. It seems my neighbors think it's cool to feed the squirrels. The problem is that half of the neiborhood squirrels nest in my 4 Maple trees. [:(] I might be persuaded to send you a couple next time I find them.[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom