First closed-end Stretch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from johnspensandmore

I put together a simple closed-end on a Stretch using Holly, Bloodwood, black veneer and green Abalone. I did try something new and inlayed some abalone on the end of the pen. I kind of like it! Finished in CA.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• white1111.jpg
    white1111.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 568
  • white2222.jpg
    white2222.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 589
  • white3333.jpg
    white3333.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 574
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Parson

Did you use your indexing feature on your lathe to drill those holes? And what did you fill those holes with? I'd love to try that some time soon.

That's one classy pen. I hope you keep it in your private collection. Very impressive work... and the segmenting is really straight and tight too. My hat's off to you, sir!

Thanks for the kind words! My lathe doesn't have an indexing feature, so I do it the old-fashioned way.....measuring. I'm not sure what you mean by "filling the holes", but they are actually inlayed green abalone.

Thanks again!

Did you use your indexing feature on your lathe to drill those holes? And what did you fill those holes with? I'd love to try that some time soon.

That's one classy pen. I hope you keep it in your private collection. Very impressive work... and the segmenting is really straight and tight too. My hat's off to you, sir!

ctubbs

Beautiful pen. Complex yet simplicity all rolled up in one real classy pen. Neat straight lines, mostly white but with the mass neatly broken with perfectly placed segmenting. WOW! What a great pen.
Charles

dexter0606

John
I'm not a fan of the closed end or kitless pens. They just don't have enough "oomph" for me I guess.

BUT......!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. That's a beauty! I think that kit lends itself to the closed end look

Good work

aggromere

that is a beautiful pen. very nice. Whenever I have tried working with holly in combination with other materials I always get it dirty from sanding dust, etc. How did you keep it so clean and white?

After the initial shape-sanding with 150 grit, I use compressed air and cloth to clean the dust off. I DO NOT USE ALCOHOL OR ACETONE! This can "bleed" certain woods (especially Bloodwood) into the holly and it's over. I then seal the wood, Holly first, with thin CA (again, CA can "bleed" certain woods) and continue my sanding with the lathe stopped, with the grain and using a clean section of the sandpaper for the Holly.

Just my method!

that is a beautiful pen. very nice. Whenever I have tried working with holly in combination with other materials I always get it dirty from sanding dust, etc. How did you keep it so clean and white?

Top Bottom