First Closed-end Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from walshjp17

walshjp17

I was asked to do a demo at our local woodturners club, so I thought I would try a closed-end pen. The first one I tried ended in frustration as the tube used to decrease the diameter for the closed-end mandrel got stuck in the barrel end and I have not as yet been able to get it out:mad:. I used dental picks and a modified allen wrench with no luck. Drill buts fit so perfectly there is nothing to grab onto. My next attempt will be to use an automotive easy-out. Film at eleven.

My next attempt was a lot more satisfying. I turned a Cherry (at least I think it is Cherry) Baron Rollerball. The chatoyance on this pen is spectacular:cool: and SWMBO has already claimed it:frown:. This is the one I used as a 'proof of concept' to see if I could do it.:bananen_smilies051:

The pen I turned at the demo was a Bocote Baron RB. I only had enough time to actually turn the closed-end barrel, but since most of the folks at the demo have turned pens before, they know how to turn the cap end. I finished it this afternoon. The figure in the Bocote is absolutely amazing.

Both pens are finished with 10 coats of CA, MM to 12,000 and two coats of PlastX.

I know the photos are sketchy, I used my iPhone; the real camera is on the fritz (still):crying:

C&C welcome.

Attachments

• CEP1.jpg
    CEP1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 178
  • CEP2.jpg
    CEP2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 140
  • CEP3.jpg
    CEP3.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 167
Top Bottom