First Closed end pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from marelton

marelton

I've been meaning to have a go at a closed end pen for a while now, so now I've finally done it.

This is a modified Euro bought recently from a UK supplier (Turners) with a Cocobolo blank

I made a pin chuck mandrel from a 10mm bolt with a flat filed in it and a cut down round nail and it worked a treat.
The turning bit was a lot easier than I thought but the finishing was a nightmare with the CA/BLO, kept getting light patches and had to sand back to the wood twice before getting it right.
It's all down to practise I think, I'm not giving up on it yet!!

Anyway please let me know what you think. I'm always interested in constructive comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Martin;

I was wondering, did this kit start out as a standard screw top euro fountain pen, or is it the streamline version? I was wondering what exactly was "modified" about it.

Love the shape, I've been wanting to turn some of these less expensive fountain pen kits so I could afford to give them out as loss leaders to special customers, in an attempt to entice them into the world of fountain pens. I never could get past the slightly goofy look of the end caps. You provided the solution for me.

Thanks
James

marelton

Originally posted by jskeen

Martin;

I was wondering, did this kit start out as a standard screw top euro fountain pen, or is it the streamline version? I was wondering what exactly was "modified" about it.

James, you were right the first time. This was a standard Euro screw top with the black plastic extension and cap coupler at the top of the lower barrel. My wife always says "what happened to the end?" when I make these standard pens!
Ok, so you loose the ability to post the cap,but the lines are a lot cleaner and it think turning it closed end makes it look more classy IMO.

Thanks for your comments.

randyrls

Originally posted by marelton

I've been meaning to have a go at a closed end pen for a while now, so now I've finally done it.

Anyway please let me know what you think. I'm always interested in constructive comments.

Very Classic lines. Over all excellent work. I do like the photo presentation, but the pen is a little dark though. Some of the grain detail is lost in the dark.

Top Bottom