First closed end pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from izaks

izaks

I've been lurking here for a while and this is my first contribution.
The pen is executive kit and walnut finished with BLO/CA - didn't keep track how many coats as it was stripped down several times. Tried shooting this on the lathe as I already have two light bulbs close by but could not eliminate all the dust on the pen. My finishing skills and picture setup need to be improved…

Any comments and criticism is welcomed. Thank you for watching.

Izak.

Attachments

• dbl closed end executive_closed_sm.jpg
    dbl closed end executive_closed_sm.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 418
  • dbl closed end executive_opened_sm.jpg
    dbl closed end executive_opened_sm.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 652
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Dunno, finish looks good and pictures do too. Sure there is room for improvement, but what you got there is not bad at all!

Ligget

Izac that is a beautiful pen that you made, the finish looks to be first class and it is on a fantastic piece of wood, perfect my friend!

izaks

Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Alright Izak!! That is a nice pen with a great finish. Some say Walnut is too open grained to make pens; I think you have quashed that rumor very nicely!

William – didn't know I wasn't "supposed" to use walnut… :wink: I agree with what you said – will not advise a beginner like me to start with it.

In fact, did another try with a slightly different process: used thin CA spread heavily on the blank, some "wet" sanding to the thin CA to remove irregularities and then switched to BLO/CA. it's a pesky process but seem to fill the grain faster and allow the CA (medium) to build up.

Also, this is the place to thank William for his generosity and much appreciated help with AS shipment and guidance.

Izak.

Top Bottom