First Closed End and others

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from armyturner

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyturner

First is my first attempt at a closed end Jr Gent. The pic does not show the colors of the watercolor cherry very well at all.

Next is a .308 casing with black palm.

Last is Sierra made from some of the pieces of brass from drilling the casings cast in clear PR. I didn't get as much of the brass in the casting as I wanted. I will make sure to stuff the tube better next time.

200731245729_jr%20gent%20closed%20end%20cherry.jpg

200731245739_casing%20308%20blk%20palm.jpg

200731245758_sierra%20cast%20brass.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davidrei

I really like the cast brass. I agree it would be nice to have a little more brass in there, but I'd be interested to see if more brass might make the blank prone to blow outs. Love the black palm and the closed end cherry is very classy looking. Good luck, I'm anxious to see the results with the brass!.

gerryr

Nice work on the closed end. The fit and finish look great. It could be the orientation of the pen in the photo, but the closed end looks fatter than the cap. I always try to make the closed end no bigger in diameter than the cap and mostly somewhat smaller. If you look at the pens sold by the big boys, the caps are always fatter than the pen body.

Tanner

Beautiful pens Jeremy. The Jr. Gent is my favorite. I like the casing pen too, I just think the casing end looks a little short with .308's. I've heard palm is hard to turn. What are your thoughts.

armyturner

Gary, I cast the brass in the PR, drilled, then painted the inside of the blank.

Tim, the palm is one of the most frustrating things that I have turned so far. I had to stabilize with CA, turn the CA and the thin layer of stabilized palm away, and then CA again. Took a long, long time and I still had several tear outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom