First Closed End Birdseye Huon Pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from southernclay

southernclay

I was fortunate enough to win this blank from George (robutacion) in a recent wood id contest....I'm now ordering more! While it is very pretty it is the best smelling wood in history I'm pretty sure :biggrin: Really fun to turn.

I have been wanting to try a closed end to continue to push myself so here is the result....I'm keeping this one!

Jr Gent II with closed end (1st) and custom finial (my 3rd) with Birdseye Huon Pine Burl. I hope you like it, I'm thrilled with the result. C&C definitely welcome, remember I'm pushing myself to improve so good or bad I appreciate it. My lighting I've been using went out so had to rig something up until I build a new light setup but I'm pleased enough with the pics too.

George, thanks again for the blanks!

Folks, check out his new site and order some of these blanks, you'll be glad you did!

Attachments

• 1_zps72db4fff.jpg
    1_zps72db4fff.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 2_zps978ea8d0.jpg
    2_zps978ea8d0.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 3_zps629f57b1.jpg
    3_zps629f57b1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 4_zpsa3104bf8.jpg
    4_zpsa3104bf8.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Wow Warren, you made the first pen (as far as I know...!) with the Huon Pine burl I got recently and let me tell you, you certainly done justice to that blank, congrats...!

Lots of Character in that blank and in this wood in general, I have amazed myself at some of the great patterns, grains, veins and eyes, out of this wood, I most impressed with some of the areas of this burl where i don't see any eye(s) however, you can see patches with the closest thing I've seen of human fingerprints.

And as for the smell, what can I say, unless you experience it, you just can't describe it, huh...???

Thanks for showing your magnificent made pen...!

Cheers
George

OZturner

What a Beauty, Warren.
Congratulations all round, to George's Birdseye Huon Pine Burl,
To the Closed end Body, The Finial, as well as your Fit and Finish.
Outstanding Profile and Lines.
I don't know, but is it possible to make it postable, by reducing the diameter of the closed end?
Brian.

Odysseos

What a Beauty, Warren.
I don't know, but is it possible to make it postable, by reducing the diameter of the closed end?
Brian.
I agree with Brian, I love the "rounded shape" of the pen. The wood blank is very bautiful and the fit & finish are top notch.

southernclay

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

Charlie, I appreciate that, I'm feeling much more confident, the more I push myself the more I enjoy it!

Brian, that's an interesting thought, I'd love to hear from anyone that has tried this. There is a little recess in the cap but not much, maybe enough for a compression fit without having to thread the end. Anyone tried this?

George, thanks so much. You are dead on with the fingerprints, even the "plainer" areas of this wood are really cool to look at....and like you say the smell is an experience to be had.

The closed end large darker spot is actually the very edge of the burl cap/edge. I had thought about leaving some of the bark on which would have been cool but it was going to be way too fat so still got to keep some of the character on here. Thanks again for sharing!

BSea

WOW that's a keeper for sure. Great job on the custom finial & closed end.:good: That's interesting about the smell. I have some blanks coming from the sale. I can't wait for that boat to cross the big pond.:turtle:

What a Beauty, Warren.
Brian.
I don't think it's possible on a kit pen to make it postable, and still look good. If you think about the kits, the posted end is thin metal, and you can check the diameter with your calipers. To do a postable pen on a closed end, there would have to be a step down on the lower barrel, or a very severe taper. So you would have to drill for the length of the tube, then use a smaller bit for the hole that the refill goes into. You may have to find a different spring for this to work. And while I think it may be possible, I don't think it would make for an attractive pen. Just my 2¢.

However, it might be possible to make a postable fountain using a cartridge. Then there could be a solid barrel past the tube. In fact I might shorten the tube to make the taper more consistent. I can still see some problems doing this. If it was to be done, it would need a very sturdy material for the lower barrel.

Top Bottom