First Closed End Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

After more attempts than I care to admit, I finally made a Closed End pen!

The "Carnival Glass" blank is from Glass Scratcher, I got it from him at the first NE Florida Chapter meeting.

Your comments/critiques are appreciated. Thanks for looking.

1_AZB-FP-TiG-0001.jpg

1_AZB-FP-TiG-0001-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I'd say it was a lot like my last one. Just a haaaaaaaair too long, but that's just personal preference. Cool looking blank there.

RMB

My first thought as well, a bit long, and the slight bulge in the center makes it look.... i dunno, almost straight, but not quite, just kinda odd. I'd either go straight, or an even curve. Good first closed end though, workmanship looks perfect. Nice blank too, bummer they're not available for purchase, or are they?

VisExp

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Skye, I also think it is a hair too long. The problem with some of the others was that they were a hair to short :eek:

I'd say it was a lot like my last one. Just a haaaaaaaair too long, but that's just personal preference. Cool looking blank there.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
That is an awesome blank, Keith! I like my closed end pens a bit long as they fit my hand better since they don't post. Send it on up to PA if it is too long for your taste! :biggrin:

bitshird

Nice job Keith, I did my closed end Baron a bit more bulged and then kind of flared on the end, and shaped that way they lay so comfortably in hand, I love the blank, and I agree with some others you nailed it.

Skye

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Skye, I also think it is a hair too long. The problem with some of the others was that they were a hair to short :eek:

Man, you don't have to tell me. My second attempt, the one that would correct the problem of the first pen, wound up being so short it didn't even make it to the web of my thumb when I wrote with it. Terrible!

Texatdurango

The uneven diameters on the lower barrel aren't much to my liking but the overall pen looks nice, good job.

I think we "kit makers" are so used to seeing a pen with a large metal butt sticking out the end that when we see a solid piece of material we automatically think it looks too long.

After making quite a few closed end pens as well as my custom fountain pens, they start looking "normal" and the metal butt pens start looking short to me!

Exactly how long is the lower blank anyway, 3.25" or so?

I think a closed end pen with a wavy brass design would be smashing! :wink:

td

Banned
Keith,
The pen looks perfect to me. Really nice job. I'm sure it would fit my hand just great! That is one outstanding blank Charles! But you have more you're going to post.... right?

VisExp

Exactly how long is the lower blank anyway, 3.25" or so?

I think a closed end pen with a wavy brass design would be smashing! :wink:

Good eye George. I made the parting cut at exactly 3 1/4"

As far as the closed end pen with a wavy brass design, you're right it would be smashing, and I plan on making one sometime. I just thought I would practise a on a few blanks that didn't take five or six hours to make :wink:

Top Bottom