FIRST CLOSED END

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cwolfs69

cwolfs69

This is my first attempt at a closed end pen. i have been wanting to make one for a while now but just havent gotten started. one reason was i have not had a mandrel and was reluctant to put out that much money for not a lot of pens.
so, being the resourseful guy that i am, i used what i had on hand. I have some "Aristocrat" kits here, love them by the way, and decided my first closed end should be a fountain pen. These kits use a 10mm tube for the pen and that happens to be almost exactly 3/8" ID. i took my collet chuck from Amazon (Amazon.com: PSI Woodworking Products LCDOWEL Dowel Collet Chuck System: Home Improvement), a 10mm collet and put in a 3/8" oak dowel. had to polish the dowel just a slight bit, i think more for a little out of round than diameter, and using hand pressure, just slid the blank on the dowel. during heavy turning the tail stock center was used to help hold the pressure. turned, sanded, CA finished and polished right on the dowel mandrel. Was a snug fit coming off, but still manageable by hand. the cap end was done as normal. i think it turned out just fine and i may use it for my own carry now. but will sell if needed.
the pen i made from a piece of Koa i got from wood pen, i upgraded the nib to a Bock from IPD on this site.
by the way i did learn on this one that disassembling a closed end is a little harder than both ends open, DAMHIKT.
enjoy and please comment, especially critical comments. how else can i learn. excuse the pictures, i was in a bit of a hurry and did not break out the big camera.

Attachments

• PEN FRONT VIEW.jpg
    PEN FRONT VIEW.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 228
  • OPEN ON ANTLER.jpg
    OPEN ON ANTLER.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 154
  • NIB CLOSE UP.jpg
    NIB CLOSE UP.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 109
  • CLOSED END CLOSE UP.jpg
    CLOSED END CLOSE UP.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 120
  • SIDE VIEW ON ANTLER.jpg
    SIDE VIEW ON ANTLER.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 139
  • CLOSED PEN OPEN SIDE VIEW.jpg
    CLOSED PEN OPEN SIDE VIEW.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 136
  • PEN ON ANTLER.jpg
    PEN ON ANTLER.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 98
  • PEN ON ANTLER-1.jpg
    PEN ON ANTLER-1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 104
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Nice looking pen. I have make three closed emd pens now and really like the look. Looks like you got a great finish on a lovely piece of wood.

My only criticism is the picture....and only because of the antler in them. It distracts from the nice pen !!

BSea

by the way i did learn on this one that disassembling a closed end is a little harder than both ends open, DAMHIKT.

Ok, I won't AYHYKT, but I would like to ask you how you did that.

Oh, and very nice pen. I like the look of closed end RB & FP vrs. the threads on the end.

Last edited:

seamus7227

wow that turned out great!

but I agree with the comment above about using the antler. that pen is too beautiful to have a distraction like that

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Top Bottom