First Closed End

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Seer

Seer

:biggrin: This is actually the first as there have been no failures yet (lol). This is Maple Burl that Sharon gave to me when I visited her and her husband Jack. (They let me use their planer). I did not use any special mandrels exactly but I followed the tutorial that Don Wrd wrote about just drilling a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the blank and using the tail stock to hold the mandrel in it. I went a little further and actually ground the end of the mandrel into a 4 sided point to give it more grab.
I put this on a Black TI JR Gent as gold would fade too much I feel and I am very happy with the finish, fit and everything. Making this pen has given me a new outlook on pen making and improving my skills. I hope you like it and comments are most welcome as is criticism.
Jerry

Attachments

• Maple Burl Closed End 1a.jpg
    Maple Burl Closed End 1a.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Maple Burl Closed End 1b.jpg
    Maple Burl Closed End 1b.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Maple Burl Closed End 1c.jpg
    Maple Burl Closed End 1c.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Maple Burl Closed End 1d.jpg
    Maple Burl Closed End 1d.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 155
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

...and you saved $25 by not purchasing a special expanding mandrel. Nice job on the pen. Maple burl is a favorite. Thanks also for finding the article helpful.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Seer

...and you saved $25 by not purchasing a special expanding mandrel. Nice job on the pen. Maple burl is a favorite. Thanks also for finding the article helpful.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Call me throifty or cheap but I like making my own tools when I can and you instructions were spot on and easy to use and I am looking forward to a closed end on both ends next. Thanks for the great info Don.

Top Bottom