First closed end!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bgibb42

bgibb42

So I got some new accessories for the lathe this Christmas, which have enabled me to do something I've wanted to do since I joined this forum...turn a closed end pen. This was the fourth attempt (I'll spare you the first three:rolleyes:) and I couldn't be happier. It was quite a learning process and, more importantly, a bunch of fun! (Especially when I was able to show the finished product to my wife.) Actually made this last night, after spending most of the morning searching old posts and articles to figure out all the little things I was doing wrong. Purple Rain acrylic from Woodcraft on a Sedona. This is only the beginning for me, I feel like I've opened a door to a whole new world of possibilities! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: (Can you tell I'm excited?)

PS. One thing I need to work on is photography. This was taken outside on the tailgate of my truck this morning with my phone's camera.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 275
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chance

Great Job. This is my next step as well. I am going to get a new lathe before I start adding accessories to do such things. Good work!

its_virgil

Closed end pens are fun to make and look really nice, as yours does, by the way. Although special tooling is nice and also fun to use...who doesn't like new tools....no special tooling is needed to make closed end pens. They can be made using our standard 7mm mandrel. good luck with your new found skill and pen style. Keep'em coming.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

So I got some new accessories for the lathe this Christmas, which have enabled me to do something I've wanted to do since I joined this forum...turn a closed end pen.

chance

Closed end pens are fun to make and look really nice, as yours does, by the way. Although special tooling is nice and also fun to use...who doesn't like new tools....no special tooling is needed to make closed end pens. They can be made using our standard 7mm mandrel. good luck with your new found skill and pen style. Keep'em coming.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Can you point me to instructions on how to with just a mandrel????:confused:

bgibb42

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have to admit:redface:, after pondering it for a few moments, I can think couple of ways to accomplish this (though, I haven't tried them obviously, so I won't offer them as suggestions here). Still, new tools are fun.:) Part of it was a collet chuck, which now allows me to drill on the lathe, which has improved the quality of my pens ten-fold. :cool:

RAdams

Banned
REALLY NICE!

I too am new to the closed end world. It is addictive. Next thing you know, it will be all you want to do. Then you will want to start modding CB's, and Finials. Then comes Recessed clips... Next thing you know, you will need a metal lathe to make your own parts! Oh what a terrible life we penmakers lead!

mickr

great job..they are fun...always check the IAP library first..it is full of info...there are a few ways to go with closed ends..I just recently did it on a mandrel as I had to do a repair & realized as I was repairing, that one could do it on standard equipment..keep at it & stay alert to possibilites as they appear

jmiket91

I really like it, and that's big for me because I don't like closed end pens....at all. Great job.

Top Bottom