First closed end

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mick

mick

This is one of the first closed end Jr Statesman I've been happy enough with to post. It's Figured Mesquite. The thing I struggle with is if I give the barrel any shape. I never know what to do with the cap. This one I was pretty happy with. Connie took some pictures for me today so I thought I'd share. Picture turned out ok but I noticed there's little dust on the cap :eek:

Attachments

• zapreadyClosedEnd.jpg
    zapreadyClosedEnd.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Good going Mick. I like closed end pens and I too struggle with the shape...finiding one that I really like. I also struggle with the length. But, I like your shape and length...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

This is one of the first closed end Jr Statesman I've been happy enough with to post. It's Figured Mesquite. The thing I struggle with is if I give the barrel any shape. I never know what to do with the cap. This one I was pretty happy with. Connie took some pictures for me today so I thoi\ught I'd share. Picture turned out ok but I noticed there's little dust on the cap :eek:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I don't STRUGGLE with the length, all of mine suck.

Yours looks pretty good, Mike!!!
Finish looks like a nice satin, too - like it!!

mick

Brian That one's a rollerball, but like Ed says it can be either. When you drill out your blank you just have to make sure the smaller hole at the closed end is big enough to accept the spring of a roller or the end of a FP convertor.

Don, Ed, those two issues are biggies for me. I don't like the super long pens so I only make em long enough to give some material at the end for strength. As for the shape I like just slight suggestions of curves, more subtle lines. To me it's hard enough to make a smooth flowing transition between cap and pen without throwing a lot of shape into the mix.

Ed, it's actually very glossy....I need to improve my lighting.

Last edited:

JohnU

Looks good Mick. I havent tried closed end yet and everytime I see one here it makes me question why. I like the shape and the choice of wood. Nice!

Top Bottom