First Closed End

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This has been on my list for quite a while. And it's not a work of art, but many, many lessons learned. I spent 2 weeks reading all I could about making closed end pens (Thank you Don Ward articles!!!) There were "a few" prior attempts now piled in the "Oops Bucket."

After the fact, I could have made the upper barrel 1/4" shorter, which would give it a more balanced look. I was trying to get the two barrels somewhat in proportion, but didn't quite get there.

But... It sat on the kitchen counter only 11 minutes before it deftly snuck into the LOML's purse! I actually went to get my camera and it was gone... Happily... I have more kits to refine this as it was fun.

C & C VERY welcomed!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Black Ash Burl from Woodturningz
Triton Kit from Berea Hardwoods

Stabilized after 80% turned with thin CA.
Abranet: 180-600; Micromesh/Walnut Oil: 12K; buffed with Renaissance wax.

No additional finish as this was a prototype and I just wanted to see what I need to tweak.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

That's a super nice pen!

I hope to try to learn to do make a closed end pen someday.

Steve

OZturner

Great Pen, Mark,
Glorious Black Ash Burl Blank.
Congratulations on your First Closed End.
Excellent Choice of Pen.
Nice Fit and Finish.
Like me, I wouldn't mind if it lost a little weight around the Middle. That is just my Taste though.
Well Done.
Brian.

robutacion

Hi Mark,

Beautiful piece of burl and a quite interesting pen you've got there...!:wink:

I don't know how much shorter you could make that top but, it looks fine to me.

You have obviously some very keen admirers of your pens in your houlshold, 11 minutes was not even enough for the finish to cool down and, it was gone...!:eek::biggrin:

Keep up the good work, my friend...!:wink:

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mark,

I don't know how much shorter you could make that top but, it looks fine to me.

You have obviously some very keen admirers of your pens in your houlshold, 11 minutes was not even enough for the finish to cool down and, it was gone...!:eek::biggrin:

Keep up the good work, my friend...!:wink:

Cheers
George

I retrieved the pen, took my pictures, then did careful post-mortum measurements. I can easily have the upper blank 1/4" shorter and about 1/16" thinner. So the next one should be a bit more in proportion!

Thanks all to the comments.

wyone

well first.. GORGEOUS... second.. really.. you are thinking about such small dimension changes to make it perfect? I know I am my own worst critic, but I think it is great just how it is.

For me the BEST compliment I get is when the LOML takes or wants something I make. I mean she knows anything I do can be hers, but to actually take it, well that is pretty special.

Such AWESOME work!

Top Bottom