First Closed End = FAIL = SAVED!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toddlajoie

toddlajoie

OK, so I had posted a thread with my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th attempts at a closed ended pen that came out great, and mentioned that my first was plagued by a massive error in measuring the depth of the hold needing to be, which caused it to be a bit about 3/8 too short to fit the rollerball refill. I had figured when it happened, and this was later confirmed by Steve, and again suggested in the other thread, that I could drop the rollerball in favor of a fountain pen and have the short ink cartridges fit in the stubby body. The only problem I ran into is that the rollerball kit I used was Stainless Steel, and the only Fountain kit that WC sells in Sterling Silver, and while they are both silver-ish, they would by no means match. Removing the threaded insert on the closed end body proved to be, um, troublesome. I have extras, since the closed end only uses one of the 2 inserts that come with the kit, so I wasn't afraid of wrecking the threads, but nything that could get a good grip on it just broke off the area it was holding and did little to remove the insert. Finally once there was nothing left to grab hold of I decided to go hog wild. I found a bolt that was JUST BARELY able to be threaded into the insert (there are none of the original threads left at this point, just smooth metal) painted some CA on the first few rows of threads, twisted it on and let it set for a while. Then with a small wrench, and screwdriver, I pried the bolt off and the insert came with it (YAY ME!!!! nothing cracked in the process). After that, it was a quick assembly with the Sterling Fountain pen kit, and all is well in the world. it's kind of cute, and the peach color gives it a very "lady-ish" look to it that I think is helped by the small size...

Peach_Invisavue_Closed_End_Navigator01w.jpg

Peach_Invisavue_Closed_End_Navigator02w.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Forgot to mention, the blank is the peach Invisavue from Woodcraft. I LOVE the look of this material, but working with it, I sort of have an idea that I'm the unwitting subject in a hidden camera show. I can almost hear the sadistic development conversations by the evil scientists who formulated this suff:

Scientist 1:"Check out this new material I made to be turned on a lathe"

Scientist 2:"Looks great, but if it's too easy to use, they'll stop buying all our other stuff. What can we do to keep up our other sales"

Scientist 1:"I know, lets make it so whenever it's in a room with a drill bit that is spinning faster than 5 RPMs it just melts into a useless lump"

Scientist 2:"Sounds good, but what if they manage to hold it somewhat in shape and get it near the drill bit?"

Scientist 1:"No problem, when this stuff gets in the drill flutes, it will harden and stick to it like it was formed together in the big-bang."

Scientist 2:"Perfect, I love it, but let's make it so it scares any sharp tools into dulling themselves too, so they spend more time sharpening than turning, We'll sell a fortune in sharpening stones and new tools"

Scientist 1:"Great idea, and just in case they get to the sand paper, let's make it so it gumms it up completely and only lasts about .004 seconds with any sort of abrasion."

Scientist 2:"Sounds good. Put it in production."

MartinPens

Nice save! I've pressed broken parts into the body or caps of pens just to get rid of them because I couldn't get them out :wink:. Also, I have found that many people like them to be a little long in the body. They say that it has a better balance in their hand. So I make them a little longer and that way I don't have to worry too much about coming through the end. Once you do a few you'll get the measurments down and you'll be unstoppable!

Are you using a closed end mandrel from..... well, from wherever they are from..... I forget now. ??

Martin

RAdams

Banned
NICE SAVE!!

Is it really that hard to work with? I was told something similar about a couple of other materials and found them to be quite fun to work with... I think i will have to buy a hunk of this stuff to take it for a ride. I am also gonna get some dino bone cause i hear it is pretty tough to work with.

toddlajoie

YES, but worth all the effort. I've bought all the colors WC has. AS has them on clearance for about 3 bucks.

BTW, nice save and wonderful look.

Yea, I think the Moo Cow is the only one I haven't bought yet, I personally like the Grey the best, as it has an almost opalescent quality to it. The red is also a very nice loo, I actually like the peach the least of all that I've tried so far, but I still have pieces of Black, Blue, and Green to try when I'm feeling in the mood to sharpen my tools a lot...

RA, the dialog between the 2 scientist may be a little bit of an exaggeration...:biggrin:

Top Bottom