First Circuit Board Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

I haven't tried any circuit board pens, but I got these in a trade :)smile:) and decided to give them a try. Not sure who the vendor is, but as I turned some of them, some of the brass (?) pins came through but ended up finishing nicely. Paired with an elegant sierra kit.

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Red Circuit Board.jpg
    Red Circuit Board.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Orange Circuit Board.jpg
    Orange Circuit Board.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 161
  • White Circuit Board.jpg
    White Circuit Board.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Green Circuit Board.jpg
    Green Circuit Board.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Circuit Board - The Collection.jpg
    Circuit Board - The Collection.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Any pins on the boards would be a mild steel (they should have been removed before casting) and gold plated only on their outsides.

Those came out quite nice! :)

jttheclockman

The red one looks like a different blank than the others. Is that the one that the brass came through??? I do not think I have seen that blank.

OZturner

Excellent Pens, John.
Great New Venture, Excellent Assortment of Circuit Board Blanks,
Well Matched with the Elegant Sierra Kits,
Superb Fit and Finish.
Congratulations & Well Done My Friend.
Brian.

mecompco

Circuit board on an Elegant Sierra is one of my favorite pens, and a good seller for me. Those look very nice!

Regards,
Michael

The red one appears to be from Exotic Blanks, I just finished a black one with the same pattern. On these bodies, I don't turn such a straight line, leave them a little "bubblier" to avoid the circuit board parts. It gives a better 3D effect with some clear left over the parts.

Skie_M

They make video card and motherboards (and various other system component cards) in different colors all the time simply for design considerations ... Some companies think of it as part of their identifying trademark, while others make multiple color options available in order to market their wares to a newer generation of computer mod builders who like to color coordinate and show off the interiors of their computers.

The orange/golden brown one I haven't seen before ... black is certainly one that is available through PSI that I don't see displayed here. Blue is also available through PSI.

In order to thin these down enough that the blank maker can wrap them round a brass barrel and cast, they are typically sanded down from the reverse (no component side), as the component side is much more interesting looking. The small flat surface mounted components are typically left in place, while the larger components and pins are usually removed, as they can get in the way. It is somewhat unusual to hear of pins being left behind, but as they are made of a mild steel they don't get too much in the way. Make sure you seal them in CA for your finish, though, as this steel is NOT stainless or corrosion resistant ... you will see rust spots.

elkhorn

Greg, thank you and thanks for the advice about putting some CA to seal those pins. If I hadn't gotten these in a trade, I'm not sure if I would have tried them. I'll see how they do at the next show.

John, you are correct. The red one is the one that had the pins come through.

Brian, thanks for the compliments, my friend.

Michael, I appreciate the kind words.

Jeff, i don' know where any of the blanks came from. There were just the 4 in one bag when I made the trade. Good thought about slightly rounding the center to provide more clearance.

Silverado

John, I think these Circuit Board Blanks were designed to fit the Sierra Vista
Kits. The Vista Kits have a lot more meat on the bushings. I have made quite a few of these and never gone through them.

elkhorn

Silverado, you may be correct. Having not turned these before, it looked like they were for the sierra. I generally use the elegant sierra whenever I need a sierra type pen. I did try and take extremely light cuts, but they still popped through. Lessons learned for the next batch:)

Top Bottom