First Cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woody350ep

woody350ep

Here are my first Cigar pens. The first is a Heartwood/Sapwood Ipe in Black Chrome, CA/BLO finish. The second is from the Corian I got from the cabinet shop. It was 1/2" and I glued it up, but I didn't use enough glue to fill all the voids I think, as there was a line that showed up on sanding. Finish was MM to 12000 and PlastX. The shine is definitely there. This pen will be going to the manager at the shop as a thank you for the Corian, as this will be a regular thing for me now. I just took a small scrap to try it out, but they have a ton that I can have, and this will sweeten my way in the door on the primos
yellowbiggrin.gif
yellowbiggrin.gif
I think the fit is nice on then both, but these are my first, what do you think? Questions and comments please....

9HeartwoodSapwoodIpeBlackChromeCiga.jpg

10Corian1stChromeCigar800x600.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Jason , you have two beautiful cigar pens there . The Black kit goes perfectly with the Ipe , and the Corian has a wonderful shine . Your fit and finish are fantastic on both . :good::good::good:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Great work, Jason - especially for your first cigar pens. I am curious about the faceted look especially on the corian. It adds an interesting touch!

I agree with John on glueing the corian. I have a 4" vise i use to press the corian pieces together after glueing them. And I let it set for some time - not for any particular reason except that I want to make sure the seam holds tight.

Sometime you may see the seam. But it's usually when the pieces of corian aren't solid against eachother when its glued. But, you know, it really takes a shine well!

Keep up the good work.

Skye

For some reason, your BLO/CA finish is shiner than most people's. Fine by me, I'm not one for satin finishes. It's odd how glossy it came out though.

woody350ep

Funny you should mention that Skye - someone over at WN said the same thing and asked about my process (which I am still working on). I told them what I do, and that it is probably a longer process than it needs to be, but it works for me. Maybe I was wrong, as you are the 2nd to say something about the shine of it, which I personally love on pens.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I really appreciate you driving me further into addiction............now I must order more kits!!!! lol

jttheclockman

Great looking pens. Fit and finish. Can you share your techniques for your photos??? Did you use a light tent??? It does capture the shine and shows depth.

woody350ep

Jeff - I did another recently, and clamped it in the vice as was suggested, worked wonders and looks great.

John - If you would care to have a laugh at this..........My photo technique should make some of you REAL photo takers upset lol. I never plan photos, I just do the pen and come up with somethin real quick to get a picture online. For these, I laid out a paper towel on the RAS top and had the garage door open. I put something beneath the paper towel to prop it up to "give depth" and took the picture on macro setting with no flash on my cheapo Easyshare 753 lol. And voila - picture, though I do think they came out decent..........

Top Bottom