First Cigar Pens and New Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tharding

tharding

Been turning since February. This was my first time using this new finish. What a great product and thanks to the insights from this site. I am afraid I am addicted!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 374
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey nice job on that finish. Make sure you spend all the time that the finish needs you can see when you actually do the buffing if it is done or not. The way that finish works I keep applying and buffing until I don't see much of a difference after I buff. You will notice on the first few applications that the finish will be a matt finish, if this is what you are after you are done but if you want a higher gloss keep applying and buffing between applications until you get the shine that you want. I am on my second bottle of this and have probably finished at least 200 pens with this stuff. If you find any new techniques please share them! We can all help each other so much.

SDB777

What were the timbers used here? That spalted stuff looks pretty nice....

Guess when I run out of my current 'tub-o-polish', I might just have to order some of this stuff? Looks like it left the finished pen looking like wood....not plastic!

Scott (wonder if I could be sick today....work is evil) B

tharding

My guess is the one is a spalted maple burl and the other is a walnut?? Unfortunately, this was one of those grab bags I purchased from Woodcraft and I am not knowledgable enough to determine.

Yes, this is exactly why I love this finish. Not plastic looking, but real wood. I talked with the owner of Pens Plus and he recommended cleaning off the blank with Walnut oil and a fresh towel after sanding with the Walnut Oil. Mike (who has helped me a great deal) recommended I clean the blank with alcohol to rid the blank of the slurry created with the Walnut oil.

Btw, I ordered my first stuff from Slabs, Blanks and Boards. Thanks for providing the link!

What were the timbers used here? That spalted stuff looks pretty nice....

Guess when I run out of my current 'tub-o-polish', I might just have to order some of this stuff? Looks like it left the finished pen looking like wood....not plastic!

Scott (wonder if I could be sick today....work is evil) B

Top Bottom