First Cigar, First Mistake...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stevebuk

stevebuk

hi
i was apprehensive to say the least when attempting to do this cigar pen, i have some great PR from skiprat but didn't want to waste it on my first effort, and i am pleased i didn't. When connecting the pen together, i noticed i must have turned the damn pen with the bushings in the wrong setup, as the middle is high where it should be low and vice versa.
The bushes i have dont correspond to the diagram i have, but anyhow i had fun, and i will know for next time..
cigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkHix

I would wager a large amount (of your money) that just about everyone who ever turned a cigar did that very same thing. I have a couple just like it. Experience is a great teacher.

rdunn12

Nope,never done it,not me.[:p]Yeah right.Been there done that.It is not a mistake,it is an artistic design element of your particular turning style.:D

gerryr

Fortunately, I can truthfully say that this is one mistake I haven't made. I've made plenty of others, but not this one.

Other than reversing those bushings, it looks like you did a nice job.

My first mistake with a cigar was getting the long tube turned for the short and then the insert wouldn't work. dummy. that pen is still sitting on the work bench so it won't happen again.. your pen looks great though.

Laurie

rherrell

Originally posted by MarkHix

I would wager a large amount (of your money) that just about everyone who ever turned a cigar did that very same thing. I have a couple just like it. Experience is a great teacher.
Not me! I made one Cigar and didn't like the style at all. Haven't turned another one since.[:0]

Buzz

Probably the easiest mistake to make with any kit. I mark my bushes with lines scored with a hacksaw blade to represent the order left to right as it needs to be assembled.

Even then on the last batch I did I managed to swap the barrels on one of them [:I]

bitshird

That is probably the only mistake I haven't made on a pen, or pencil, Nearly did it on my first Euro, [^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^]

Hello

made this mistake, more than once!
drilled the sequence into my head, like the FOIL method in junior high school
(first, outer, inner last)
middle lanl(la=largest, nl=next to largest)j
tops are bigger tips

Ligget

I now have a kebab skewer in my workshop with the cigar bushings slid on it in the correct order with clip bushing at the left working down to the nib bushing on the right.[:I]

Saves measuring each bushing to get the correct position each time you are going to turn a cigar.:D

I purchased a set of cigar letter opener bushings from Woodcraft which have the two center bushings (separate for the pen/pencil) as a single bushing, so there are actually only three bushings. All of the diamaters are the same for both kits. This arrangement makes it much easier to get the bushings in the correct order.

stevebuk

Originally posted by Vince_Hoffmann

I purchased a set of cigar letter opener bushings from Woodcraft which have the two center bushings (separate for the pen/pencil) as a single bushing, so there are actually only three bushings. All of the diamaters are the same for both kits. This arrangement makes it much easier to get the bushings in the correct order.

That sounds like a great idea, instead of the 4 i have now, but i think i will do as mark has done and line them up ready for the next one.

Top Bottom