First Cigar, First CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

This i just finished is made from spalted maple that was infused with acrylic that i got from my dad's friend down in oregon who makes high end chisels. out of cocobolo and other exotic woods. This is my first cigar pen that i recently bought from woodnwhimsies a week ago. I really like the kit. The CA finish was my first time doing it, and it looks pretty good, but its not perfect. I wanted to try a ca finish so i just youtubed it and found a guy that made it look simple and just copied that. I used 3 coats of medium CA glue then, I sanded this to 12000mm and polished with hut plastic polish that i got at woodcraft.

Attachments

• 100_5357.jpg
    100_5357.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_5358.jpg
    100_5358.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 143

ctubbs

James, I sure wish my first CA had looked that good. Heck, I wish my 10th had looked that good. It may be the lighting, but the finish looks just a bit on the dull side. Your fit is outstanding. Over all the pen is wonderful. I usually dry sand to 600 on the blank, clean the dust carefully off the blank to be sure there is no sanding residue remaining, apply a thin layer of BLO and dry that with paper towel, then apply 3 coats of thin CA, spray accelerator to be sure of setup, then apply 6 coats of medium CA with a light spray of Accelerator every other coat with a final light spray after the sixth one. Then wet sand with the full set of MM thru 12000. Make sure that the first MM leaves a dull sheen over all with no shiney spots to be found. If you find any shiney spots after the first MM, you will have a rough finish at the end. the CA must be level at this point. If you develop ridges going around the blank, then sand the blank lingth ways to flatten the ridges. When you find a dull spot after finishing with the MM, you have sanded through the CA and you get all the fun of doing the whole thing over. Aint that thrilling? DAMHIKT. I hope you take this in the spirit that it is offered. I am no expert in this nasty but great finish. I still end up having to refinish every so often. do not get discouraged working with a CA finish. Many are they that have never mastered it. I am one of the masses.
Charles

MartinPens

That is a handsome and classy pen. Everything matches up well and the grain is ver nice. Great work. I wouldn't mind carrying that one around myself! : )

Martin

Drstrangefart

Definitely nice. I've had a ton of CA practice and still have the odd pen that won't come out right. I prefer getting a few layers of thin put down before I jump to the medium. Seems to result in a better shine. That's just me though, and there's a million ways to do it.

Top Bottom