First Churchill Pretty Cool Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wayneis

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

Well I did my first Churchill today and I do really like these new kits. Also the only piece that is plastic is the centerband. The other two pieces that are black that everyone assumed was plastic is in fact metal that they painted black. The material that I choose for this one the Gold and Black Inlace from Ryan, I like working with this stuff also. Thanks for looking.

Wayne

2005102722351_DSCN5263churchill.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Also the only piece that is plastic is the centerband. The other two pieces that are black that everyone assumed was plastic is in fact metal that they painted black.
That's right, the receiver tube and the cap finial are metal, that's where the extra weight comes in. I hadn't noticed! Glad you pointed it out.

Of course other plastic pieces are the threads and the section ;-) But those 2 pen pieces being metal is nice - I have broken one or 2 receiver tubes myself on El Grandes, dropping the pen in an unlucky way

wayneis

Fred this material is actually an acrylic called Inlace and I bought it from Ryan at Woodturnz. Looks like wood doesn't it? Its really fun to work with but you do have to be pretty carefull with it as sometimes it can be kind of crumbly unless you take very light cuts. What I have been doing lately is putting a burr on the tool that I use and pull it through the cut, just the opposite of how we turn most materials and it works good. Then the finish and shine is really awsome.

Wayne

Originally posted by darbytee
<br />Great looking pen Wayne. I like the Churchill more and more. Enduro finish, I presume??

darbytee

Wayne, If I'd paid a little more attention the first time I would have seen where you said that in the description[:I]. It looks alot like some oak burl that I have. Still a beautiful pen.[:D]

alamocdc

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Fred this material is actually an acrylic called Inlace and I bought it from Ryan at Woodturnz. ... Then the finish and shine is really awsome.

I've been working with this material quite a bit lately and the finish you can get with it is amazing. You can see some examples of the sheen in my album. I call it Acrylester... Ryan actually calls it Inlace Acrylester. With almost all of the other synthetics I've turned I've had to use a plastic polish at the end to finish up. Not with this stuff. Just wetsand with MM through 12000, add a little Ren Wax and you're done! [:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This material has been available for years, but Ryan is expanding the offerings in many new colors. As Wayne says, it is somewhat temperamental, but the results are always outstanding. TRY IT! But expect some breakage, your mileage may vary.

[:)][:)]

wayneis

Gerry a 5" to 5 1/2" will work fine. Also one nice thing about this new kit is that it uses the bushings from the rollerball El Grande kits. I'm working on a couple more but being as I recieved the Emporer kits the Churchills I started may have to wait for a day or two.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom