First Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gwilki

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwilki

This if my first Churchill. Box elder burl blank and kit are both from William Woodwrite. Finish is 4 coats of lacquer and a buff of light wax.

All comments welcome. I'm still a base beginner.

20078315240_box%20elder%20churchill%203.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughbie

i just started my first churchill today as a matter of fact. glued up the blanks yesterday. started to rough turn the blanks and put my hand on the tool rest and........BAM, my fingers hit the spinning blanks and put them between the rest and the spinning blanks. tore half a fingernail off.

great looking pen, i hope mine looks asgood!

jtate

Nice!

I've found that the bushings on Churchills are not exactly correct, size-wise. Use your digital caliper carefully and often.

Hugh, dude, it's a TOOL rest - not a hand-rest! Hands on the tool, tool on the rest,
fingernails on the fingers. Sounds remarkably painful.

I can'ty talk though since I just sliced a big chucnk of skin from the side of my thumb when I was holding a blank, by hand, that I was drilling. Duh!

Julia

rd_ab_penman

Originally posted by hughbie
<br />i just started my first churchill today as a matter of fact. glued up the blanks yesterday. started to rough turn the blanks and put my hand on the tool rest and........BAM, my fingers hit the spinning blanks and put them between the rest and the spinning blanks. tore half a fingernail off.

OUCH!! Tools go on the tool rest, not your fingers, finger nails are not as hard and sharp as tools!

hughbie

well, thank you all for your sympathy........as shallow as it may be...........but heartfelt as well. if this is the worst injury i get turning wood, then i shall count my blessings
(tools on the tool rest....so THAT'S why they call it that!)

rhahnfl

That is a beautiful pen. Think I may have to try one soon. My family and friends do seem to gravitate toward the larger pens. Sorry to hear about the finger accident. Hope you heal quickly and it goes into long term memory so you can avoid it again. OUCH!!!

gwilki

Thanks for all the compliments. Sorry to hear about the damage done by Churchills to Julia and Hughbie. I'll consider myself lucky that I still have all ten finger nails after this one. [:)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by hughbie
<br />i just started my first churchill today as a matter of fact. glued up the blanks yesterday. started to rough turn the blanks and put my hand on the tool rest and........BAM, my fingers hit the spinning blanks and put them between the rest and the spinning blanks. tore half a fingernail off.

Ouch. Glad it wasn't worse. Some of the professionals who sell videos often wrap their fingers around the tool rest. To me, not a professional, that looks foolhardy and very dangerous. My hands grasp the tool. Tool rests on tool rest. But, I'm not a professional. Wadda I know? [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom