First Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

This is not my favorite kit. It has an itty bitty spring that is somewhere on the floor, had to rob the other kit for one. This is for a friend in Australia who sent me enough Aussie wood for moer than a dozen pens and he chose the kit. This one is Tasmanian Eucalypt Burl.

200511912722_PICT0021-1.jpg

Fire away.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Beautiful pen and wood, the recipient will be ecstatic.
Unfortunately, too much plastic on this kit for me. A gold c.b. like the post end would be better. Not much you can do about that...you've done about as much justice to this kit as is possible, IMHO.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Very nice pen!

I'm not sure where folks get the idea that this kit has a lot of plastic. Most of what appears to be plastic is actually powder coated brass and quite beautiful.

gerryr

Thanks for the comments. I just realized a few minutes ago that the wood is actually Coolibah Burl. Hope nobody noticed. While making this, I decided that although I like the looks of the pen well enough and you can really show off a nice piece of wood, the fact that you have to drill railroad tunnels really bothers me. The wood ends ups being not much thicker than a European style. The parts could have been designed around the same OD, but with smaller tubes. You really need to be careful with the 33/64" drill. I was frankly surprised that my 1/2" chuck would accept it. I have one more kit and I plan to do that one in Amboyna Burl.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Plastic or brass it is too over powering and makes it look like a dollar store knock off.
The Craftsmanship and wood selection is excellent.
I realize it is a traditional styled pen and I am a tradition type guy( believe it or not) but I still don't care for the kit.
That's two stinkers for the "b" company this year.
This and the Sierra.
Nice work gerryr.

mike_l

I guess I am one of the few who likes the Churchill. You really did it justice. I know your friend will love it. I do!

Mike L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom