First Celtic Knot With Outline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

This is my first one with the black outline on the knot . It is also my first one done at 60 degrees . Nice change from all the ones I have made previously at 45 degrees and with no outline.

Hey . . . I think I'm catching on how to do these :biggrin:

Being my first one with the outline and not knowing the outcome , I used a plain piece of walnut. Wish now that I had used one of my highly figured walnut blanks

This one is going to be my own pen until such time as someone wants it more than I do .

Finish is 5 coats of BLO/CA 20 seconds apart followed by One Step Polish and then TSW.
I glued it up in the evening yesterday and let cure overnight . Then drilled , put the tube in , turned and finished it this morning.

CelticKnotwithoutline1.jpg

CelticKnotwithoutline2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Thanks for the kind remarks

I decided to try one in acrylic so after lunch I found an odd ball blank that was purple on one side and brown on the other and thought that would be a good one to experiment with because if it didn't turn out right I would not have lost much.

These things sure are time consuming. It took me from 12.30 to 3.00 PM to make that one right from scratch.

I fully understand that a plain background is better than a figured one for this type of pen but I wanted to see how it would look in acrylic . I might check a few suppliers for some plain , no pattern acrylic blanks now because although a lot of us woodworkers prefer wood there are a lot of non woodworkers that will buy acrylic ahead of wood . At least that has been my experience.
I also love the fact that no finish is required on acrylic . . only a sanding and polish.

CelticAcrylic1.jpg

CelticAcrylic2.jpg

parnelli_97

Beautiful pens! I'm wondering what are you using for the inlay, the black and white? Is that pick guard, acrylic, or what? I've been looking at doing inlays like this, but haven't tried yet. How do you cut your blanks? I have a power miter saw but I never like how the cuts come out on it, and a hand miter saw, but it's near impossible to hold the blank still and guarantee the cuts come out perfect. Maybe a tutorial or outline would be great.

W.Y.

Beautiful pens! I'm wondering what are you using for the inlay, the black and white? Is that pick guard, acrylic, or what? I've been looking at doing inlays like this, but haven't tried yet. How do you cut your blanks? I have a power miter saw but I never like how the cuts come out on it, and a hand miter saw, but it's near impossible to hold the blank still and guarantee the cuts come out perfect. Maybe a tutorial or outline would be great.

I sent you a PM

Top Bottom