First Celtic knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

White wenge blank with silver maple Celtic knot and center band.

I'm finding that my drill press, no matter how square it is at the start just can't seem to drill a straight hole. One side of the knot is smaller than the other. I'm offering up my first attempt for comment :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_1147 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1147 (Small).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1148 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1148 (Small).JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 226
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Looks great! I had the same problem with a couple I made.
I have never heard of white wenge?
Alice

76winger

Well yours came out better than mine! Oh yeah, I haven't tried one yet...

So you're several steps better than many of us because:
1. You've tried it
2. You got decent results on your first attempt
3. You now have a basis to work with for future attempts and making improvements!

Carl Fisher

White wenge is actually more of a nick name for Lati. Except for color, the grain and characteristics of the wood are very close to wenge.

Thanks for the comments all. I like posting my first attempts here because it helps me improve and gives me something to look back on as I hopefully improve :)

Last edited:

Texatdurango

White wenge blank with silver maple Celtic knot and center band.

I'm finding that my drill press, no matter how square it is at the start just can't seem to drill a straight hole. One side of the knot is smaller than the other. I'm offering up my first attempt for comment :eek:

Nice start and I hate to burst your bubble but just for the record......... an "X" is not a celtic knot. Try adding two more pieces if you want the knot affect.

Actually there are some who say the 4 piece knots aren't really celtic knots either because they don't overlap properly but the majority here accepts them as knots.

srf1114

Looks nice, I agree with the x comment, but have had good luck selling the them that way.
Try this, make a two loop one but put the cuts at 45degree angle to each other instead of the 90 degree your doing. It makes a cool deeper curve.

I made 3 really beautiful 4 cut knots unfortunately all 3 blew out on drilling. Lessen learned, don't round them off until the hole is drilled and the tube is glued in. You need that extra stability when drilling.

toolcrazy

Very nice knot.

I always drill mine on my lathe. I think I have more stability. Also, drill really slow, this will keep the drill bit from wandering.

Carl Fisher

Ok, point taken. Being somewhat new, I had seen this referred to as a 2-band knot.

I consider myself corrected.

As for the drilling, I don't have a way to spin the pen yet other than the mandrel or a set of centers. I do have my jacobs chuck ready to go though once I find a deal on a chuck/jaws for the head.

Last edited:
Top Bottom