First Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mtgrizzly52

mtgrizzly52

Well I finally got one of these darned knots to come together right and it actually looks pretty good. I built a decent angle cutting sled for the table saw out of an Aztec Jig Building Kit I bought awhile back, and that made all the difference in the world. Now my angles and my cuts are consistent which appears to be the secret to making these knots.

Please ignore the ugly wood, (I hate oak of any kind for turning), but all I was doing was experimenting, and when the knot came out looking like the pictures of the tutorial I was using, I thought I'd go ahead and turn it to see what the knot would look like.

I also decided to do the turning without a mandrel, between center which was kind of a disaster, but I finally got it done. By the time I had it turned down enough to see what the knot looked like, I thought what the heck, in spite of the ugly wood, I'd make it into a pen and the attached pictures are the result.

I know I did a poor job of turning this dang thing, but the knot came out looking good, so I thought I'd post it and get some constructive criticism.

Thanks for looking and thanks for your comments!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Attachments

• First Celtic Knot 1 (855 x 642).jpg
    First Celtic Knot 1 (855 x 642).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 271
  • First Celtic Knot 2 (855 x 642).jpg
    First Celtic Knot 2 (855 x 642).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 266
  • First Celtic Knot 3 (855 x 642).jpg
    First Celtic Knot 3 (855 x 642).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mtgrizzly52

NIce knot! Did you use black white black pickgaurd in you inlays? or is it wood vaneers.

It is the black white black pickguard that Grizzly sells. It was pretty inexpensive and easy to work with. My next experiment will be using aluminum and copper on the outside of the pickguard material.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

mtgrizzly52

Karin,

Thanks for the compliment!

That is it exactly. It was easy to put together, plus I got to do some dadoing which is something I've not done before. The jig seems to be solid, and accurate. I don't remember paying that much for my kit, but I bought it months ago and finally found some time to get it put together.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

jkeithrussell

If that's your first attempt at a Celtic Knot, you don't need any constructive criticism. It looks great.

mtgrizzly52

Thank you all so much for your kind words and comments. Once you put together the right tools to do something like this, the rest is... well not easy, but it sure does help. Now if I could just figure out how to sharpen those darn gouges and skews, life would be perfect! *LOL*

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Top Bottom