First Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

Made up this from Birdseye Maple with Padauk veneer for the knot. This is my first attempt at a celtic knot. Did the cuts with my scroll saw. Glued using Elmer's white glue. Attempted to drill on the lathe (first time for drilling on the lathe - didn't work, just ended up burning a hole half-way through. Got REALLY hot. Broke apart. Reglued using medium CA) Finished drilling on the drill press. Still got really hot - might have a dull bit...)

Turned between centers - only about my fourth pen turned between centers. C&C welcome.

Steve

Attachments

• Celtic 1.jpg
    Celtic 1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Celtic 2.jpg
    Celtic 2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 80
  • celtic 3.jpg
    celtic 3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 83
  • celtic 6.jpg
    celtic 6.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 147
  • celtic 7.jpg
    celtic 7.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Celtic 4.jpg
    Celtic 4.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 74
  • celtic 5.jpg
    celtic 5.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 88
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ross

That is a really nice pen. Did you build a jig of some sort to keep the cuts straight? I now drill all my blanks on the lathe. I drill on the slowest speed and keep a sharp bit. I am able to achieve much better accuracy on the lathe than on my drill press.

Dale Parrott

Congratulations on your first knot! I remember the feeling when I made my first one and then everyone that saw it had to know how it was made. You will be just as happy with your self after doing a 6 ring knot.
Looks to me like you set the rings in at about 45 degrees. I'd like to encourage you to try 60 degrees next time. I found it makes the knot even more impressive because of how much larger the knot ends up.
Dale

SteveJ

That is a really nice pen. Did you build a jig of some sort to keep the cuts straight? I now drill all my blanks on the lathe. I drill on the slowest speed and keep a sharp bit. I am able to achieve much better accuracy on the lathe than on my drill press.

No jig used, I just drew the lines and cut along them. I will continue to work on drilling on the lathe, it has to be better than the crooked holes I get sometimes on the drill press.

SteveJ

Congratulations on your first knot! I remember the feeling when I made my first one and then everyone that saw it had to know how it was made. You will be just as happy with your self after doing a 6 ring knot.
Looks to me like you set the rings in at about 45 degrees. I'd like to encourage you to try 60 degrees next time. I found it makes the knot even more impressive because of how much larger the knot ends up.
Dale

You are right, it was 45 degrees. I will try 60 next. I don't know about the six ring knot - it means building a jig and I may not have the patience for that....

eranox

Beautiful pen! I haven't tried a Celtic knot myself, but from your descriptions of your tool experience, it sounds like you and I are at about the same experience level. I'll be thrilled if my first knot goes half as well! Congrats on a job well done.

Top Bottom