First Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from soligen

soligen

This is my first home PR blank, adn first non-wood to make it to a final state. I ruined 3 before this one. Turned entirely with a Woodchuck Pen Pro. Woodchuck works well, but I had a user error near the end and fot a little chip out, so sanded to final shape to play it safe.

This was a 3 color pour, but I poured too soon and the colors mixed, so it looks more like a 2 color pour.

Slimline Pro Pencil 24k kit. Sanded to 2000 grit and buffed with blue rouge.

It's good to succeed after a string of failures. My daughter said "Oh Cool" the instant she saw it, so i'll probably give it to her - hopefully bright enough she wont loose it.

Photo's suck - my wife is out of town with the good camera.

1_DSCN1014.JPG

1_DSCN1022.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I really like that color. Can you share what it is called and where you got it.

Great job on the cast and turn.

Jesse

The color was a total accident. I doubt I could reproduce it, but the pigments are red and yellow mixol. I intended a three color pour - red, yellow, and orange. But I poured too soon, so they ran together alot. TBH - came out much better than I thought it would.

Edit: Also Mother or Pearl dust in each color

Last edited:

soligen

Congrats on your first success . It looks good from here .

PS; your photos always suck ...... but they are still better then mine :rolleyes::tongue::biggrin:

I just cant get this camera to focus on the pen. Tried every setting I can think of. Thats why one is so grainy - upped the ISO to try for more depth of field - no joy. My wife's new camera is much smarter at picking focus points. One of these days I'll set up some lights for something decent.

I used to be into photography, so I understand what needs to be done, but my good camera is a film camera, which just isnt practical for this, and I've been working on pens, not photography lol.

Brooks803

I think it looks great! If your gonna mess up pouring the colors thats the way to do it! Sometimes the best comes out of what we least expect it to, just ask donny (toyotaman). I sent him a couple feeler blanks from my scrap box and he made one hell of a pen out of the first one he tried. go figure...:rolleyes: Can't wait to see what's next!

bitshird

Nice mess up Dennis, some guys actually record every aspect of their casting so they can replicate it, I just mix and pour, I love your color, should be a hard pen to miss place.

KDM

I have wood, and now resin ..... when am I gunna find time to make all these pens???:confused::confused::confused:

I also have wood, resin and not time to make pens. I've used up about 15kg of resin in the last 3 months. I've made TWO pens. The first big bundle of PR blanks I "sold" were actually exchanged for loads of pens parts and wood blanks.

PR casting is addictive. You are likely hooked now!

I think it's the fumes.

Top Bottom