First cast acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elody21

Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

This is my first cast acrylic pen. I made it black with gold swirls.
Two questions for those who cast their acrylics themselves
How hard is the finished material supposted to be? I find it pretty soft. Softer that the purchased acrylic blanks. Are they supposed to be this way or should I add more catalist?
Second question. How in the #?*&^%$#@! do you get a digital pic with so much detail I cannot seem to get detail and a close up pic without things getting blurry HELP!

2005118153921_goldandblackacrylic.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Very nice cast blank, and beautiful pen, Alice!

I have the same problem. Out of focus because I get too close.
Most of the time I have to take the pic from a little farther, with more background on it. Then I crop the image.

btboone

Nice pen Alice. Like Fred says, going out a little further, like 10 or 11" and using macro mode should help the focus. Zoom in on the pen, but not so much that the camera uses digital zoom; only use optical zoom. Use a tripod to steady the camera. I'd be interested to know if the pen hardens up more in time. I assume you used polyester resin. Something that might be possible is the use of too much filler might cause it to not cure as hard. Something to experiment with.

PenWorks

Great cast & pen Alice. Don't you just like cutting a softer resin! Mine were a touch softer as well. They drill & cut so much easier. I have been using a 7 drop cat to 1 oz PR mix, I did do a batch & increase the cat to see if it would make it harder. Sure did. I was worried to hard as it looked like fracture lines in the mold. But that was not the case. I think with the little softer resin, it can take a drop or fall better without cracking once finished into a pen. Great job.

elody21

I tried you suggestions on photography ptboone thanks! Check out my photo albumn for the new picture.

btboone

Better shot Alice. Looks like the camera was just a bit too close before. Different cameras have different macro focal distances. My previous camera couldn't get below about 11". My new one can get very close and still focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom