First casing & antler pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

Well a HUGE thanks goes out to Mark with The Pastor's Pen. He met up with me this morning and gave me 3 nice pieces of antler. So of course when I got back home I had to turn it. I had no issues drilling the smaller piece using my vise. I went very slow and was good to go. It turned nice for me. I did the normal dry sanding and then 2 thin coats ca & 5 medium ca. I wasn't sure if it was needed or not, but I figured at the very least it would help protect the antler. The kit is a 30.06 casing I got from Wood N Whimsies. I chose it because it is a real casing and they already drill and insert the transmission, ink, and nib for you. You will notice the bottom section near the casing is slightly proud, but I was smack down on the bushing and it doesn't hang over too much. This pen is going to my uncle who is big into hunting/fishing. He doesn't know it yet, so I am sure he will love it. I wouldn't mind getting one of the kits with the actual bullet for the nib at some point. Let me know what you all think on this one. I never really liked the casing pens until I just now did one.

pen63-a.jpg
pen63.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I found that the real bullet are so soft that if a person drops the pen it does damage the bullet and then you are in trouble... I only use the slimline nib for that reason also I think a pen should look like a pen............ just my thoughts...........

Skye

If you're slightly proud on it, I'd take a very light sand to the edges. That antler can get pretty sharp and you don't want an uncomfortable feel in the hand.

jskeen

Nice job on the antler there. I really like that finish. I don't put that much of a shine on mine, but that's because I use non clearcoated casings, and let the brass acquire a patina with use. Unless of course I'm selling to a Marine, we all know how they are about polishing stuff :)

I always use surplus GI 30 cal bullets for pens. The steel jacket under the gilding metal coating is much more durable and easier to drill too, after you melt out the lead. I prefer the look of the bullets over the nibs, but hey, that's why they make all kinds of kits. I really like the antler/bullet combo, as well as bullet/stacked leather. I find the antler sells better to the hunting crowd, where the stacked leather moves faster at the VFW/American Legion. I just never acquired the taste for the specialty clips though, Don't know quite why.

Top Bottom