First cartridge-and-antler pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from emackrell

Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

Got to the shop tonight to finish the casing and antler pens from Eagle's auction a couple of weeks ago. I used the plain piece of antler and the gold colored casing as a "training wheels" pen to find out how antler turns, then turned the much fancier piece of antler with the bark still on for the gorgeous copper coated cartridge. Despite my best efforts the CA found its way into the bark (how DO you keep it out???), but other than that I'm pretty pleased with them. I really like the look of the copper coated nib, clip and cap along with the cartridge. Comments welcome!

200691331731_IMG_0654.jpg

200691331751_IMG_0651.jpg

Cheers Eileen [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Great Job on both pens Eileen!
I can see why you asked about using a center band on the solid antler pen now.In our conversation the other night I didn't realize you had already turned the lower section down to fit inside the casing.If you care to conside a "fix" it would be possible to part that section off and add center band sothe fit with the casing "flows"

On the Copper vein with the "bark" it appears that you "nailed it".I took care in selecting that antler blank but it is still a crap shoot when it comes to turning them,you never know how they will turn out.
As far as keeping the CA off the bark that is difficult.I usually buff the bark with a "plastic" buffing compound prior to turning.That way if CA does get on it the removal CAN be easier but not always,. it can also be a mess.
YOu might try buffing the bark with a dremel and plastic buff.

One question about your camera settings. After seeing these pictures and looking in your album I wondered what setting you are using,
The pictures appears to be "grainy". Are you taking them at the highest resolution in the "close up" mode?
Great job and thanks for posting them and supporting the IAP!

alamocdc

Eileen, those look very nice indeed! I too have had problems with CA and antler bark, but while reading this thread I had an idea. Not sure if it would work or not, but it may be worth a try. Are you familiar with the spray on bandage that peels off? You might try spraying some on the desired areas and letting it set (after using Eagle's suggestion buff the bark area). After you "finish" the antler, it might just peel off.

Skye

Are you putting CA on the antler as a finish? I just dont understand how it's getting on the bark.

emackrell

Skye,
Not exactly as a finish, but to harden the pithy part of the antler. It was very soft once I turned it. I tried to put the CA only into the pith but gravity as usual had the final word.

cheers Eileen [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom