First Cartridge/Antler with Decal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jp_white

jp_white

First attempt at using photoshop to simulate scrimshaw with decal. Slimline kit with .308 cartridge and euro finial. Antler with decal on top. Drilled out cartridge and custom fit wood/tube in the bottom. Picture is terrible.... taken on the hood of the car before I gave this to a friend in the hospital.

Attachments

• Frog pen 480k.jpg
    Frog pen 480k.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,315
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jp_white

Paul,
There's a CA finish over the decal. The decals I'm using are the Testors decals that you print yourself with an inkjet. I've only done a few decals and it's a little tricky getting the air bubbles out.
......thanks to everyone on IAP for all the help!!!

stoneman

Awesome idea. Does the actual pen have the same ghosty quality of the image that the picture shows (which I actually like)? How pronounced is the edge of the decal once finished (or does it show at all)? Great looking pen.

jp_white

Steve,

After putting a CA finish over the decal you can't feel the decal at all. I'd be glad to send you a few decals of the deer head for you to try yourself. It's pretty simple. The hardest part is sizing and getting the printer to accept the decal paper.

nwcatman

Steve,

After putting a CA finish over the decal you can't feel the decal at all. I'd be glad to send you a few decals of the deer head for you to try yourself. It's pretty simple. The hardest part is sizing and getting the printer to accept the decal paper.

jeff

PM sent john

DougMPhoto

Beautiful pen. I am getting ready to make my first cartiridge/antler for my brother. Where did you get the deer artwork?
Did you use the Testor's Bonding spray also or just CA?

jp_white

Decal update

I just wanted to add a little trick for getting all the air bubbles out. If you are lucky enough to have a soldering iron that is adjustable set it to low(300)heat. Using a clean part of the soldering tip gently rub any areas that aren't perfect. My experiance is that this works everytime. Another poster mentioned that you can poke a hole in the bubble and use a hair dryer/heat gun to get rid of the annoying bubble.

Attachments

• Deer decal.jpg
    Deer decal.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 319

navycop

Paul,
There's a CA finish over the decal. The decals I'm using are the Testors decals that you print yourself with an inkjet. I've only done a few decals and it's a little tricky getting the air bubbles out.
......thanks to everyone on IAP for all the help!!!
Do you need any special kind on software other than photoshop?

jp_white

Anyone that knows how to print can do this. You just need the Testors decal kit (with spray). I used photoshop to tweek the photos darkness and microsoft publisher to print several pics at once. You really have to watch losing resolution when you resize the photo. For some reason when I use publisher for resizing the pictures still print fine. If you can't seem to figure this all out and still want to try then PM me and I could send you some decals ready to go. Trade? I could sure use some empty .308 cartridges. Here's a link to the testor products. Here in Oklahoma I bought the kit at Hobby Lobby.
http://www.testors.com/category/136937/Decals

jp_white

Bowl season special

In the spirit of the Bowl season........
All Big Ten fans (except Ohio State) can PM me if you need the photo. Everyone else is welcome as long as your title includes, " The Big Ten is the Best conference in football."
Just having a little fun.

GoodTurns

like the idea, and well executed.

the decals are also available at hobby lobby, and with the 50% coupons, only a couple bucks!

tonychar

im trying to find the decal paper here in Australia but cant find anyone selling it does anyone on here know anyplace in Australia that sells it please let me know thanks in advance tonychar

Top Bottom