First cartridge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gwilki

gwilki

This is my first attempt at one of these. Interesting project.

The kit parts are from a Perfect Fit.

I welcome your critiques.

200851133919_cartridge%201.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwilki

Thanks, guys.

Would anyone know of a source for brass clips? The pic does not show it, but this clip, being Ti gold, is a different colour than the brass cartridge. I'd like them to match.

Sylvanite

Looks nice. Is the progression in case size (small head, medium centerband, large nib) and in wood length (short lower barrel, longer upper) intentional? I usually try to match the length of the wood on the two halves, and the brass on the head to the case shoulder (and I prefer a smaller centerband). But those are simply esthetic choices.

Out of curiousity, how did you attach the transmission coupler to the case head? When I did a perfect fit like that, I retapped the piece that the kit finial screws into, and put a small screw through the flash hole. That, in turn, was covered by an empty primer cup.

Regards,
Eric

gwilki

Eric: I would love to say the dimensions were intentional, but they were not. My next one will have the two blanks closer in size and the centre band narrower. So there. :D (I looked on your site; your cartridge/antler pen is really fine.) For the coupler, I drilled out the end of the casing and used a 4mm x .7 brass screw to hold the coupler to the end of the casing. That way, I didn't need to tap the coupler. I like your idea of covering the screw with an empty primer cup. I'll have to see about getting some of them.

Paul: I prepared the cartridge. I just bought a bag and started cutting them up. Not difficult. The bitch was drilling the bullet. Lead wants to melt itself around the bit in no time flat.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by gwilki

For the coupler, I drilled out the end of the casing and used a 4mm x .7 brass screw to hold the coupler to the end of the casing. That way, I didn't need to tap the coupler. I like your idea of covering the screw with an empty primer cup. I'll have to see about getting some of them.

Well, if I'd had the right size screw laying around, I would have used it. Being a backwards American though (too stubborn to use the metric system like the rest of the world), all I had were SAE thread - so I picked a close one and retapped. The easiest way to get an empty primer cup is from a fired case. Just deprime it (a small nail on a dowel works if you don't have the official tool) and then pry out the anvil.

The bitch was drilling the bullet. Lead wants to melt itself around the bit in no time flat.

Lead doesn't melt while drilling, but it is soft and tends to stick. The trick to drilling lead is lubrication. Dip or spray the bit with WD-40 and drill at low speed. The shavings should spiral right out of the hole.

Regards,
Eric

PaulDoug

Grant, after studying your picture some more, I think the only thing I would try on the next one is make the center band narrower and the clip end piece longer so it would be closer to the length of the nib end piece of cartridge. Now I haven't even tried to make one so I don't have a clue if this is possible.

How did you cut the cartridge? Would a cooper tubing cutter work?

gwilki

Thanks for the info, Eric. I've drilled a few more and had no problem. I just use a bit of cutting oil and as you say, the shavings spiral out nicely. As to metric, I'm fortunate to have a fasteners place nearby that has both sae and metric in darn near everything.

Paul: I tried a couple of ways. I have a very small tube cutter that has no rollers on the non-cutter side. I just covered the metal jaw with some slick tape and the cutter worked quite well. I tried to use a bigger cutter, but the rollers marked the casing. I've done others with a 32 tooth hack saw and a small miter box that I made. Of the two methods, the miter box is easier.

Tks, Ken.

Top Bottom