First Carbon Fiber casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Falcon1220

Falcon1220

A while ago I asked about a carbon fiber blank for an Electra pen. Got the results I was looking for. :) But the cost was not what I was looking for.:cool: (Shipping cost.:mad: The blank cost was fine)

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f156/carbon-fiber-electra-blank-115826/

After realizing the shipping will be to mush, I decided to cast my own.:eek:

That proofed to be trickier than what I expected.:confused: I have done other casting. Ended up with 3 others blanks with bubbles that cannot be used. This one was on order so the extra castings is cutting into my bottom line.:frown:

Attachments

• Electra.jpg
    Electra.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 430
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

That is the cost of training, or experience. That is the reality, and now you have yet another skill along the way to becoming a "Master", or at least really good at this craft.
Steve

Si90

Pen looks really nice.

I had the same problems with loads of bubbles in my first cast appearing from the CF as soon as I poured the resin, but have since solved the problem. I assume you are using CF sleeve that you glue to the tube, if not then ignore the following.

I slide the sleeve onto the tube then tie up the ends with string. I then flood the CF with thin CA all round the tube, in some cases 2 or 3 times ensuring the whole blank is covered. Hang it up and let it dry overnight. At this point the blank will look pretty ropey.

I use fine wet and dry on the blank with plenty of water until its's almost smooth and then give it a really good wash to clean out any dust. This gets rid of all the high spots and the stray CF fibres. It will look matt but once cast it will get the "wet" look again.

Since doing this I haven't had any issues with bubbles coming from the CF.

SDB777

We seem to figure out things the same way, by refusing to pay for something that we can spend a lot more money to make(recently discovered the world of stabilizing)! Way to go!!!

Scott (they get easier to make) B

Top Bottom