First Carbon Fiber...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from csr67

csr67

I'm working on a batch of Carbon Fiber Gearshift and Bolt Actions and here's the first one off the lathe. This is my first time using these CF blanks from PSI. They come pre-tubed in 3/8" and each blank is good for two bolts or gearshift pens.

Very easy to work with and the casting turned very nicely using carbide tools. After turning, I sanded dry through 600, then wet through 6 grades of Micro to 12,000. A quick polish on the buffer with some white diamond and then Hutt's plastic polish.

One lesson learned.... If you turn 6 of these in a row, you WILL completely plug up your dust collector with the long strands of plastic shavings. I wondered why the suction was so low and then found a softball sized clump in the grate at my dust collector....:bulgy-eyes:

Bolt20CF.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am not familar with PSI carbon fiber blanks so I will ask the question being I can not really see your pen that well from the photo. Is the material a real carbon fiber sleeve or is it the vinyl imitation?? (would have a seam) If it is real does anyone know who makes them for them??? Thanks

csr67

I am not familar with PSI carbon fiber blanks so I will ask the question being I can not really see your pen that well from the photo. Is the material a real carbon fiber sleeve or is it the vinyl imitation?? (would have a seam) If it is real does anyone know who makes them for them??? Thanks

It is real carbon fiber and there is no seam. I'm not sure where they source them. The pictures don't do it justice. The fiber looks great.

Top Bottom