First CA Finish. Need Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from twoofakind

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoofakind

I tried my first CA/BLO finish yesterday and had a few problems. The gloss looks great, but it does not seem that smooth. I do not think I started sanding with a low enough grit paper. It looks a little wavy, so I thought I would ask the experts here for some advice. The wood is some of BigRob's super curly walnut.

200610161545_0243.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I'm far from an expert, but...when you say "it" looks a little wavy, what is the "it"? The wood underneath the CA, or the CA finish itself? Are you seeing too marks or sanding rings, and that's what's producing the roughness you mentioned?

vick

If you give details of your sanding technique and finishing technique it would probably help you get a better answer.

jahlg

i used to have this problem as well, now i use a small piece of cloth when i apply the ca, and it comes out smooth, you may be applying to much, it doesnt take a lot, just multiple thin coats. The waves are probably from too heavy an application, which would then need a lot of sanding.

twoofakind

I used the paper towel method with thick ca glue. I applied the first coat followed by blo and sanded with 1000 grit. After the second and third coats I MM'ed to 12000 and buffed with EEE afterwards. It just seems to have dimples or little waves in it. I think I should have started with 400 grit. It may have been the first coat was not as smooth as I thought and snowballed through the end.[:(]
Andy

chigdon

I saw this pen today and it looks great in person. I think the minor imperfections will get better with practice more than needing changes. It looks a lot better than my first CA finish.

martyb

I use medium CA, thick enough not to run, but thin enough to spread very easily. And I use paper towels. It's been working well for me.

A great looking pen. Always remember, the artist is more critical of their own work than anyone else could be.

twoofakind

I was trying to do the steps from memory and the one that I forgot was the DNA between sandings, but for the first time and all from memory it turned out well. The depth that it adds to the curly walnut is very nice.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom