First CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Displaced Canadian

My first CA finish,all of you were right,listen to everybody's advice then throw it all away and find what works for you. The pen is bamboo, The condo next to where I work threw away a bunch of bamboo flooring. :highfive:The wax I used to protect the bushings seeped into the top blank now I need to find a way to keep that from happening. Comments, Praise,and insults and always welcome.:eek:

Attachments

• Bambo.jpg
    Bambo.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

NICE PICKGUARD! I have a solution for your wax problem. Delrin bushings from myself, or if you turn between centers Johnny CNC

maxman400

Great Looking Pen, With a pen that looks that good it is hard to believe that this is your first CA finish. You did a great job.:good:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The CA looks great.. and you're right, it's too bad about the wax. That's the
drawback of waxing the bushings.

You can finish between centers with no bushings, that should help you feel where
to stop. (when you fall off the end of the blank!)

OR, if you're doing CA while on the bushings, you can gently (gently!) use the edge
of the skew to cut through the CA where the wood meets the metal.

Frankly, my eyes are about 20 years too old to do that one safely..

mtup

Nice looking pen displaced!! I use CA and not even sure if I'm using it right but it works for me. I turn the blank really smooth then hit it with 1500 mesh. Slow lathe down to 500 rpm. Hold CA above blank with soft cloth below and move from one end to the other. Let dry then do it two more times. Finish off with the 9 step micro mesh then wax. They seem durable so far.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Great looking pen, Chris. And the finish is beautiful!

And Mark (mtup) can you get a closer look at those pens?

Top Bottom