First CA Finish!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwall

Hi ALl,

I have attmpted my first CA finish on the pen shown!

Didn't do exactly the way it has been mentioned on the sight, as I dont have micro mesh, but have been using very fine grades of finishing paper (up to 2000) to achieve the finish, and am finishing off by using brown paper to buff the blank.

Have had some success, and the pen has more shine lustre than the previous 2 I have made, but still lacks the finish I am seeing on the pens here.

Will try harder, and experiment with the finishing.

The pen shown is a slimline , in Beech Burl.

2006617125734_First%20CA%20Finish%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nolan

You probably already know this but micro mesh is a must! There are lots of places to buy it and you will notice after you use it that there is no substitute. BTW you have posted some really nice pens and it seems you have some really nice wood to work with[:p]

Nolan

kkwall

Hi Nolan,

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I am looking for the micro mesh as we speak!

The pen on very close inspection has small ridges that can be seen with the naked eye, and this must be a factor in the sanding/finishing. Will certainly get some micro mesh ASAP.

its_virgil

The ridges and unevenness are an application issue, not a sanding issue. Try changing the things in your technique, such as lathe speed, application rate, the amount of CA used, applicatior material, and maybe others until the process gives the finish you desire. There are 3 or 4 good articles on CA finishing here on the IAP site. Read them all and keep practicing and one day it will click and you will be amazed. Pay close attention to exactly what you do each time so when the finish works you will be able to duplicate the process again. Good luck, it will work!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by kkwall
The pen on very close inspection has small ridges that can be seen with the naked eye, and this must be a factor in the sanding/finishing. Will certainly get some micro mesh ASAP.

kkwall

Thanks Virgil,

Yes, I believe that is a factor also.

Next time I will try to apply more evenly, with a better applicator, and I have ordered the micro mesh, so can improve on the overall finish.

Thanks Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom