First CA attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbostian

jbostian

After a successful first attempt at a cigar pen yesteday, I decided I needed to try something else for the first time. I had been wanting to try to do the CA finish and my order of glue just happened to arrive today, so I thought I would give it a try. I decided to make a slimline that way if I totally mess it up I wouldn't mess up a nicer kit. I also decided to make my own wood centerband and make the pen a little fatter. Before this I had only turned slimlines from bushing to bushing. So I guess it was a couple of first with this pen. Overall I am pleased with the pen. It is not perfect but not terrible either. The CA finish went much better then I had anticipated. If you look close there are a few little low spots in the finish but they aren't very noticable. The centerband turned out OK but the fit between the lower and upper barrel isn't perfect. There is a little gap on one side. I guess they weren't squared up well enough. I used bubinga for the blanks and bloodwood for the centerband. Sorry the pics aren't that great. I need to work on my photography skills. Thanks for looking.

Jamie

Attachments

• FirstCAfinish.JPG
    FirstCAfinish.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 148
  • FirstCA2.jpg
    FirstCA2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

I think you did a fine job with your firsts. Now since you have had success, do not get discouraged when you have one kick your butt. Just remember you can do it and try again.

Bree

I think the pen looks real nice and the centerband is a real nice touch. Great job!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PaulSF

I really like the way you handled the centerband. Even if you aren't happy with it now (and we are all perfectionists), the shape is worth doing again. I also like the fatter profile for the slimline. I don't like writing with the really big fatties, but I also don't enjoy writing with skinny little pens. This looks like a pen I would like to write with.

Gadget

Hey Jamie
Just remember that you can order extra tubes for kits so that if you mess one up you can just throw it away and not waste a whole kit. that takes alot of pressure off you as the artist. your first attempt looks good so roll with it. nice job !!

jbostian

Hey Jamie
Just remember that you can order extra tubes for kits so that if you mess one up you can just throw it away and not waste a whole kit. that takes alot of pressure off you as the artist. your first attempt looks good so roll with it. nice job !!
Good point. Thanks for the nice comments.

Jamie

Top Bottom