First burls and an acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan_F

Dan_F

I think I've finally gotten my lathe aligned properly, have accumulated the proper bits, and got a few burls to play with, so now I can get cracking on some pens. Here are three from this week.

First up is a Carbera in black Ti, clothed in one of the acrylic blanks from the recent group buy. Can't recall the name of the blank.

P1010850.jpg

Next is a corrugata burl Wall Street 2 in Ti gold.

P1010857.jpg

Finally, another Carbera, this time in Ti gold and york gum burl.

P1010848.jpg

P1010869.jpg

The burls are very hard and dense, quite a different experience from the woods I am used to. Takes more patience and a steady hand to avoid tear out.

I improvised a makeshift photo tent, which I think helped out the pics. Previously I just covered the compact fluorescent bulb with white fabric to diffuse the light, but the full tent seems to do a better job.

Critiques on the pens or photos are welcome.

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

They all look great,Dan.
Fit and finish seem to be right there.
The burls sure are looking good,
and your photos are nice,much improved.
Thanks for sharing these with us.:)

Dan_F

Thanks to all for the comments. A big thanks to John for marketing his bushings for us to use. The acrylic blank is called Purple Passion Fruit. While I like the purple one, my favorite is the york gum. I wonder if it would have been better served with silver colored hardware?

Karl---I went back to jpeg format, which requires much less shrinking of the photo to attain web size, and I think that helped with sharpness, while the tent definitely provides more even lighting.

Dan

pianomanpj

Dan, those are some sweet looking pens! I agree with Mark: the purple one is my favorite. If I were to have turned one like that my daughter would have ripped it from my hands!:D

jhs494

Great looking group of pens Dan!
The finish shows off the grain and the choice of kits to blanks all work very well.

Thanks for sharing them with us!

penartist

Great looking pens Dan. You get used to the Aussie burls after awhile.
P.S. Keep your tools extremely sharp when using Aussie burl otherwise you'll get a lot of tearout.

Regards, Evan

Dan_F

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Evan---Sharpening is becoming my greatest challenge. I do ok on the gouges, but the curved skew is difficult to consistently touch up and remove the burr after grinding.

Dan

Top Bottom