First bullet pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Monty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Finally got around to turning some pens again this past July 4th weekend. Made my first bullet pen from a 30-06 and antler utilizing a tip from a slimline and the fineal from a designer. The only problem is what is the best thing to coat the brass with. I tried poly but it is already scratching off. I believe many of you have said you PC the brass. Is this the best or is something else out there that will work.

The second pen is some multi-colored jute twine the LOML got at Walley World. Wraped it around the tubes from a slimline and saturated it with CA.
FIY I started my photo gallery with these two pens. Will post more later.

20057615130_pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Great job on both pens.
I have contemplated PCing the shells but only for display in a store and offer them in brass also.
THere are some that like the Patina of tarnished brass.
Personally I enjoy polishing item that I have that are brass.
I am not cray about polishing a bunch of pens at a time but I believe the customer should have that choice.
I have also had some of my casing pens 18K gold plated by a jeweler friend.This was a special favor and I use them sparingly.
Since I have done string and denim pens in the past I received comments as to how much CA it takes.As you found ,it doesn't use much as on might think, does it?
Great start for an album.!
icon_thumbs.gif

Fangar

Great Job on both pens.

The Casing pen is a nice length due to the 30-06 casing.

I am working on a 300 win mag now and using deft spray lacquer. I think it will work well. I already completey the top barrel portion which I made of aluminum. I coated it with several light coats of deft, allowing about 30 minutes between each coat. As soon as it cures, I will give it a light buff. Once the casing is done, I will do the same thing. I am waiting on some longer tubes. I will let you know how it works.

PC would definately work the best due to its druability.

Also, Lowe's and HD both sell deft. it is only 5.67 a can at HD.

James

Rifleman1776

Both are very nice. The string pen is certainly innovative and original. The cartridge pen is equally good. I personally opt for not polishing the brass. For a man who like the look of rugged, outdoors stuff, as Eagle says, the natural patina from handling will personalize the item. Polish for sale, then forget.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Can't take credit for the idea of the string pen. I believe it was eaglesc that planted the seed for that one.
Since it doesn't seem to be imparitave that the barrel of the bullet pen be coated to keep it shiny, I'll leave the next one uncoated and let it develop it's own patina (that will save me the $80 - $90 that the PC gun would cost me).

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Monty
<br />Can't take credit for the idea of the string pen. I believe it was eaglesc that planted the seed for that one.
Since it doesn't seem to be imparitave that the barrel of the bullet pen be coated to keep it shiny, I'll leave the next one uncoated and let it develop it's own patina (that will save me the $80 - $90 that the PC gun would cost me).

If you want some PC'd, check around, I found one guy that would do them for around $2.00 each with a $20.00 minimum.
That would test the waters and if they sell more than pay for the gun

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by cteaglesc
If you want some PC'd, check around, I found one guy that would do them for around $2.00 each with a $20.00 minimum.
That would test the waters and if they sell more than pay for the gun

That's a thought. I may try that on the next one's I make. My source for antler and casings is supposed to bring me more in the next few weeks.

woodguy1975

Great work on both pens. I do think a PC gun is in my future for brass shell casings. Another alternative its nickel brass. I now have a bunch. It has a different look that some may like and best of all it doesn't tarnish like regular brass.

Thanks,

John

arjudy

Very nice job on both pens. I really like the casing pen. You could try using nickel plated casings and rhodium or platinum plated components for a pen that will not tarnish. I made one that way and it looks real nice. I prefer the 06 casing because of the proportions. Again, great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom