First bolt action with local walnut wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texas Turning

Texas Turning

First bolt action pen. The walnut wood was a gift from our neighbor and it was from their family land. What is really awesome is we cut this blank from a huge 7 ft slab of walnut and it turned beautifully.

Attachments

• 2018-02-09-11-43-28.jpg
    2018-02-09-11-43-28.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 264
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texas Turning

Ok so I've only been turning less than a month so may sound silly but what is True Oil finish? I use boiled linseed oil and shellawax for finish. I've tried CA glue finish but that's a technique I will have to practice more.

mecompco

Ok so I've only been turning less than a month so may sound silly but what is True Oil finish? I use boiled linseed oil and shellawax for finish. I've tried CA glue finish but that's a technique I will have to practice more.

Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil is a gun stock finish. I use their sanding sealer, then the Tru-Oil. It is a rub on finish, not a friction polish. After drying for 24 hours I hit the blank with some 0000 steel wool and then buff on the Carnuaba wheel. Makes a nice matte finish like a real rifle stock might have. Just what I like to do on my gun-themed pens. I think it looks and feels nice and is a selling point for the authenticity.

Top Bottom