First Baron, R. Olive Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Trapshooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapshooter

Using the information learned on this site and listening to your advice on my posts, I have made my first Baron. It is Russian Olive Burl using micromesh, two coats of thick cyano finish and three coats of Ren wax on a chrome Baron.

The first pic shows the shine better however the second pic shows the color of the wood more realistic.

Thanks for looking, critiques on pen and photography appreciated, thats how I learn.

200594185832_firstbaron.jpg

2005941922_1stBaron.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Nice job, Scott. Finish looks good and so does the fit except that the bottom end of the lower barrel appears to be a bit proud. It could be the photo.[^]

BigRob777

Scott,
Wow, I used to wrestle a guy named Gregory Scott, interesting. He used to whup me every time too. Anyway, I can't comment on your work, as I don't know squat, but I do know wood and some photography. The wood is phenomenal, as is the way you make it look on your pen. The photos show two different hues, as one looks to be done with incandescent lighting and the other- flash. Which color is correct? I just love the color in the top photo. It looks a bit like Yellow Cedar Burl, which my next pen will probably be made of. I'd say nice work on the pen. I have to get a photo booth (or make one, as I am cheap, when it comes to doing something for myself). I'm just starting to like the barons, and this pen is helping to win me over.

Trapshooter

Thanks everybody for looking and the comments.

Billy,
Yes it is a little proud, both ends of the pen body, the cap is ok though. I am still a little shy on hugging the bushings. I did that with a couple of Jr Gentlemans and the wood was undersized. I use those pens around the house and at work.

Big Rob,

The first pic was taken directly above with an automobile trouble light with a round metal reflector and the second pic was taken with the same light plus the flash on the digital camera, (no macro setting)at a slight angle. I have not made a photo booth yet however there is a nice setup described on this site http://www.penturners.org/content/PhotoBooth.pdf

p.s. I quit wrestling in 7th grade when I was taken down in practice and broke my fall by breaking my arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom