First Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Deere41h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deere41h

This is my first Baron. It is Platinim made of Red Malle Burl from BB. Nice kits and nice blanks. I look forward to making more. Comments and Critique welcome.

2005223182459_Baron1a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

John, that's a VERY pretty pen! I just got a couple in the mail today, and can't wait to give them a try. Hopefully I'll do as well as you!

Fleabit

Love those pens. You did a good job on it, but I agree with DCBluesman...looks like you might have a "wobble". Is it the picture or is your set up off a tad. My machine has to be reset every 6 or so pens.

opfoto

Nice job. Good choice of kit and material.

Lou or Fleabit, Anyone -
Re: wobble.... If your mandrel is bent, should you try to straighten it while the blanks and bushings are on or off the mandrel?? Thanks in advance

Deere41h

Thanks for all of the nice comments. There is no wobble. I'm still working on how to get the best pictures. There is an illusion that the wood is a bit proud. I think that happens when the light reflects off the shiny plating. I'll keep working on my photo skills as well as my turning skills.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by opfoto
<br />Re: wobble.... If your mandrel is bent, should you try to straighten it while the blanks and bushings are on or off the mandrel??
I'll probably get a disagreement out of this, but I can't see how you would straighten a moving mandrel. My method is to roll it on a known flat surface, like a piece of glass. You will immediately see any bend and can slowly adjust it straight.

timdaleiden

I have seen that illusion before. I think that the background is actually reflecting off of the sides of the finial cap. The reflection and the background kind of blend together.

Maybe try moving a light source to different places would get rid of the effect. I don't think it's that important for just showing off your pens here.

Oh, and very nice pen. It's a fun kit isn't it?

Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />Thanks for all of the nice comments. There is no wobble. I'm still working on how to get the best pictures. There is an illusion that the wood is a bit proud. I think that happens when the light reflects off the shiny plating. I'll keep working on my photo skills as well as my turning skills.

opfoto

Thanks Lou....Will try that way.... I tried while on the lathe (not turning) and couldn't quite get it.... When I did it without the blanks on got it pretty good...Then I put the blanks on it was way off....just wondering if there is a right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom