First Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Leather Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leather Man

Hi, I have been a member since November and just started to turn pens. Or anything for that matter. Fifteen to date. I have learned so much from you folks. Thanks. This will be my first post and my first Baron pen from BB. The wood is Cocobolo. Sanded to 12000 MM. Finish is Mylands FP with Ren polish wiped on. Please let me know what you think and where I can impove. I hope I am doing all this right. Thanks for looking.
Ben

20052182440_B%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Welcome to the forum, Ben. We are glad to have you here. As for the pen, it looks like you are off to a very nice start. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the barrel appears to be slightly concave. I may be wrong, but if it is, then watch and be careful when sanding. It's easy to remove too much material in that center area of the barrel. Good luck on your next turnings.

Tom McMillan

Hi Ben---that is a nice looking pen!! Are you using a sealer before the Mylands FP? It appears to me to be some slight streaking in the finish---but, hard to tell for sure. Also, when you apply the FP are you letting it heat up? It took me a long time for me to get FP right---as I didn't get it heated up enough and I would have some streaking. I still use FP occasionally---but, have mostly gone to a CA finish on a lot of my work now. I like the way my CA finishes come out---and I may do it a little different than some---I don't use BLO (boiled linseed oil). I apply several coats of CA and then sand lightly---then use EEE Ultra Shine, and then buff Renaissance Wax over that. I know some can't use CA and are using the Enduro which sounds like a good finish applied correctly too. Glad to have you posting---and hope to see many more pens!!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Glad to see your first post and first picture. The pen looks very nice. A quick thought on the photo...try cropping a little closer...we want to focus on your pen and the excellent work you do more than the staging.

JimGo

Ben, that looks very good! What did you think of Cocobolo? It's been my favorite wood so far. I'm waiting, as patiently as possible, for my Barons; hopefully I'll be able to give you a run for your money! Welcome to PenTurners.org, and keep the pictures coming!

woodscavenger

I'll bet the concave look is a trick of light. There is a curved background and a shadow that makes it look concave. Otherwise it is a great looking job.

Tom, how light is "light sanding"? What grit do you use?

PenWorks

Hey Ben, Welcome. [:)] I always thought of someone just starting to turn pens, if it writes and you don't get a splinter, you did good.[:D]
But that is a fine looking pen for your first batch. Can't go wrong with cocobolo wood either. I use allot of expensive blanks, but still find time to turn cocobolo, sells good and looks good. Fine job.

Tom McMillan

Regarding "light sanding" it depends on how smooth the CA finish turns out and that has varied for me. It can vary at starting with 400, 600 or up to 800 and then 1200---then I use the EEE and that's it except for applying Renaissance after.

Leather Man

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. Looks like I have some work to do. Gary, I checked the pen and it looks like I did sand a little to much on the barrel. Tom, I have never tried a sealer on my pens. Do you think the oil in the Cocobolo caused the streaks? I heat the FP so hot I cannot keep my fingers on it. I have used CA on my other pens on the first stages of sanding, sand through 12000MM and then apply the FP. They seam to have come out better than this pen. That is why I was thinking the oil in the wood was causing the problem. Lou, I will crop more next pictures. Jim, The Cocobolo does turn nice. Thanks John. Thanks again everyone. I will try all the suggestions.
Ben

Tom McMillan

You know Ben---sometimes I just can't seem to figure it all out. I've had problems with some olivewood and I've used sealer and FP with some streaking too. I think the oils can cause some problems with finishing. I think the sealer is a good idea if you use FP---I use the Mylands Sanding Sealer first then the FP. I'm not sure if that'll help---but, might be worth a try. It does sound like your getting it well heated---Also, sometimes if I apply too much FP I have problems with streaking. We're all on a learning curve here---I'll likely use a CA finish now on most of my pens, because I'm happier with the way it holds up. Keep em coming---enjoyed seeing your work!!

pen-turners

Originally posted by Leather Man
<br />Do you think the oil in the Cocobolo caused the streaks? I heat the FP so hot I cannot keep my fingers on it. I have used CA on my other pens on the first stages of sanding, sand through 12000MM and then apply the FP.
Ben

Ben,
Just a question. What do you use to put the FP on??? I used to have streaks all the time until I changed how I applied it. Now - no more streaks.

Chris

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
For very oily woods, I highly recommend a through wipe-down with denatured alcohol (my preference) or acetone before applying any basecoat. The heat produced by turning and sanding brings oil to the surface which is overcome by the wipe-down. Woods that I find fall into the "very oily" category include cocobolo, olive wood, Brazilian rosewood, African ebony and a few others.
<br />Do you think the oil in the Cocobolo caused the streaks?

Leather Man

Chris, I use an old cotton tee shirt. Is there a better material? Lou, I will try some alcohol on my next one. What do you mean by basecoat? The CA when I start to sand? Thanks Tom, I will try some Mylands SS too.
Ben

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Basecoat refers to the first thing you put on the bare wood. Topcoat refers to the last thing you apply before you sell it! In the process you describe, the Mylands is your basecoat. The Renaissance Wax is your topcoat.
<br />Lou, I will try some alcohol on my next one. What do you mean by basecoat?

Fleabit

For only turning for a short time, you did a good job. All the suggestions above are good ones and will help you in the future turnings. I like the pen. Good job and beautiful wood. I still havent gotten the nerver to do a baron yet. I am too cheap I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom