First attempts at pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dave Kartzman

Dave Kartzman

Good evening.....

I have been woodturning for a little over a year. At Christmas, I took a class at Woodcraft on turning pens and created my first pen (which i was pretty proud of). I haven't turned any new pens since then until today. I turned a 24k gold curly maple slimline and a platinum macassor ebony slimline. The photo also shows my first pen from Christmas (walnut). I sanded the pens down to 600 grit and applied medium CA several times to get the shine.

I would sincerely appreciate any constructive criticism you may offer. My wife has already taken ownership of the curly maple pen, but I know there is much room to improve.

Thanks....

Dave

Attachments

• Pens2.jpg
    Pens2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 290
  • pens3.jpg
    pens3.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 224
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mb007

Nice looking pens!

I've only been turning for a couple months, so I'm not the guy to give advice. :) Fit and finish on your pens look pretty darn good to me!

S.A.Mappin

Very nice.

Is this the Woodcraft store in Columbia? This is where I go sometimes to look at their pen supplies. Love the choices of blanks.

ctubbs

It is really hard to tell from the photos, but the two darker pens may be jsut a tad proud of the hardware. It could be the angle and the lighting. The finish is good, I can't tell about the final polish as the lighting is flat and does not bring out the shine. Many people prefer the satin finish and that is fine also. For your first three pens, you have done a wonderful job. Please do not take my comments as anything but an attempt to improve your work. I think you have made a great start, I wish my first pen looked that good. I still have it in my pocket to remind me of just how bd one can look. If you have any questions just post them here, with photos if possible, and you will receive a bunch of answers. Make shavings and be careful.
Charles

bensoelberg

I agree with Charles. Your pens look very good. The only advice that I can really give is to look into Micromesh pads. If you are going to use CA and want a really high gloss finish, that is the easiest way to get it. There are a couple of guys on here who can get a super glossy look without it, but most use the MM. I could not believe the difference that it made when I first got mine.

MartinPens

They are fun to make aren't they!! Great start. You'll find an endless supply of helpful input on here to always improve and challenge. Check out the library and resource center. Keep turning and showing your work. You are off to a great start.

Dave Kartzman

Very nice.

Is this the Woodcraft store in Columbia? This is where I go sometimes to look at their pen supplies. Love the choices of blanks.

Hi.... no.. I haven't been to the Woodcraft in Columbia. I was at the store in Richmond over Christmas.

To everyone who responded... I appreciate the suggestions and the comments very much.

Now all I have to do is learn how to photograph my pens as well as many of you do... but like woodturning, that is also an acquired skill attained after much practice...

Best wishes....Dave

drgoretex

Good evening.....

I would sincerely appreciate any constructive criticism you may offer. Thanks....

Dave

Only constructive criticism I would offer is: "there's only three of 'em!" Those pens are excellent, especially for the first three. Now go get a bunch more kits and keep 'em coming! If you start to go broke buying kits, then sell a few pens on eBay. The more kits you turn, the better they get - you will see your own improvement steadily. There's no bigger rush than watching your skills progress..

Come on...you know you want to...:biggrin:

Ken

Top Bottom