First Attempt at Wood/Acrylic Hybrid Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

Have had these blanks for a few months but was unsure exactly how to finish them being wood and acrylic. Finally found some advice on here about wiping with BLO and then finishing with a CA application. I grossly underestimated the transparency of the purple blank and am a bit embarrassed at my folly as I am usually very careful to back paint the blank hole either black or a similar color as the blank. Have another one made up ready to go that I back painted the blank hole black. Will see how that one turns out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 316
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Great Pens, Lee.
If you hadn't mentioned not painting the Blank, I would never had known that it wasn't meant to be that way.
It is not a disaster, but I bet you will not let one through in the future.
Regardless it is a Magnificent Blank,
And your Fit and Finish is Superb,
Congratulations,
Brian.

ginagreenlee

How do you keep the color of the acrylic from bleeding into the wood during sanding and polishing? i've only done one and the wood ended up with a very blue tinge to it.

lhowell

How do you keep the color of the acrylic from bleeding into the wood during sanding and polishing? i've only done one and the wood ended up with a very blue tinge to it.

I was a bit worried about this too but surprisingly it didn't turn out to be an issue. I did my normal abranet 240-400, wiping the blank clean after each grit and sanding lengthwise after each rotation pass through the grits.

Wiped on a coat of BLO and rubbed it into the blank pretty good followed by 5 coats of CA and accelertor. Started in on my MicroMesh up through 12,000 grit and then high speed application of Novus 2 and 1 polishing compounds.

All sanding was performed at low rpm...around 500 in the opposite direction from which I turned the blank down.

Hope this helps!

stonepecker

I have never been crazy about wood/acrylic blanks.
These two pens give me a whole new outlook. I rerally like how they turned out.
You did a great job. Congrats

robutacion

Have had these blanks for a few months but was unsure exactly how to finish them being wood and acrylic. Finally found some advice on here about wiping with BLO and then finishing with a CA application. I grossly underestimated the transparency of the purple blank and am a bit embarrassed at my folly as I am usually very careful to back paint the blank hole either black or a similar color as the blank. Have another one made up ready to go that I back painted the blank hole black. Will see how that one turns out!

Those are 2 very impressive pens, a great job for a first (and second)...!:biggrin:

The blanks look familiar, tough...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom