First attempt at Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pentatonik

Pentatonik

After having tons of problems using my CA finish on this pen (and it still not turning out quite like I had hoped), I have completed my first Snakewood pen. I like the way it looks but found out it is very difficult to turn. I hope it doesn't crack!

Attachments

• SDC12250.jpg
    SDC12250.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 146
  • SDC12251.jpg
    SDC12251.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pentatonik

I think I was a little too worried about the wood cracking so I was scared to take the wood down any further. I wish I had made it a little thinner.

IPD_Mr

I am with Manny on this one. What you have done looks good. Great figure in the wood and the finish looks good. The shape looks like it is getting ready to pop though.

Pentatonik

I've never tried to disasemble one of these kits. How do I do it without scratching the hardware? I was already thinking about taking it apart and trying again.

thewishman

Put a transfer punch, or any kind of dowel just slightly smaller than the tube, into the tube and hole the barrel of the pen. Bang on the dowel until the top pops off. I usually pull a baggie around the pen and hold it on the barrel so the top doesn't fly away. No muss no fuss.

BSea

I've never tried to disasemble one of these kits. How do I do it without scratching the hardware? I was already thinking about taking it apart and trying again.
thewishman is right on the money. Some kits are really a struggle to take apart, but the sierra is a breeze. I've refinished more than a few when I wasn't happy with the final product.

Last edited:

jodoidg

My snakewood trick is to make it crack while I'm sanding. Fill, finish no one knows its there but me. Has worked so far!

Top Bottom