First attempt at a Segmented Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bassman00

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassman00

200521013123_SegmentedComfort1.jpg

Thanks to Kenn Osborne's article, I tried making a segmented pen. It's a Comfort pen without the grip in Purpleheart, Birdseye Maple, Peruvian Walnut & Mahogany. Pretty happy with this one but I probably need to sand a little better for the next ones.

Working on a couple more patterns and combinations of woods.

Seeing all the wonderful pens and ideas displayed here is quite inspirational. Thanks to all who share!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Excellent!
The first thing I noticed was the colors and the finish.
You did a great job.Mixing PH, Walnut. and Maple isn't easy without staining the maple.
Nice contast in woods.

woodscavenger

I just saw this pen in the photo album and was hoping you would post a pic in the threads. Very well done. I have been contemplating one myself but I was worried about bleed from the colored wood to pale woods. Did you have any problems with that? BTW great job!

bassman00

Thanks all! As far as bleeding, I think I was more lucky than good. I remember reading an article somewhere (WTD?) about how maple and purpleheart are compatible in segmented designs so those two were easy and a nice contrast. I went with the Peruvian Walnut and Mahogany mostly for the coloring.

I did it over two nights. First day I cut the strips and glued them into one stick. The next day I cut the squares and glued those up. I let the glue dry over night. The last day I treated it just like a regular blank. I'd guess maybe 20 minutes to a half hour each day to get the blank ready? Maybe a little longer on the 2nd day since there's more little pieces to sand. It definitely wasn't a long time.

I have a checkboard blank all set to go today. That's Cypress and Peruvian Walnut. A Curly Koa and Bloodwood blank is half way there. It's been fun seeing these come together.

Thanks

bassman00

I turned the checkerboard blank last night. Learned two things. First, Cypress is a little too grainy or porous and stained a lot more than the maple did. Second, I have to work on my turning technique now that I have a Wolverine setup. My tools cut A LOT easier now. I definitely have to lighten my touch. Ruined the lower barrel by taking too much off by mistake. Hopefully the Koa/Bloodwood combo will work better.

Oh fer two last night as I thought I had repaired a crack in an upper barrel for a Ligero but after turning it, I can see the brass through the crack. <sigh> I guess Murphy's making a stop by my shop now.

Tropical

Great looking pen. What kind of glue do you use to glue up the woods? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom