First attempt at a pen (and glue up, and inlay, and CA) - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default First attempt at a pen (and glue up, and inlay, and CA)

As the title implies, I thought I'd go all out with my first pen. Lot of firsts with mixed results. The glue up was a success (Mesquite burl with Texas Ebony)and I give the solder inlay an A-. The pen turned out nice but for some reason when I trimmed the ends they didn't square up correctly, which is very aggravating to me! I squared with a trimmer from WoodCraft but sanded the extra CA off the end after finishing. Maybe I sanded too much and got into the wood. I didn't think so but it's possible. The CA finish made me want to pull my hair out!! I didn't have any plastic polish or a buffing system so I just made do.

Critiques are welcome and appreciated! (sorry for the cell phone picture)

faas is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Nice job and that is a lot of 'firsts'! Did you use the correct size shaft on your trimmer for the tube in that kit? If not that can cause the ends not to be square. Also, the trimmers will not get the ends as square as some other methods.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 67

Very nice result, for all those firsts !! Isn't solder too soft for use as a pen segment ? .... or am I misunderstanding ?

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Nice job and that is a lot of 'firsts'! Did you use the correct size shaft on your trimmer for the tube in that kit? If not that can cause the ends not to be square. Also, the trimmers will not get the ends as square as some other methods.
I think it was the correct size. I'll double check, but I'm pretty certain when I bought the slimline kit, I double checked the reamer on the trimmer.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
Very nice result, for all those firsts !! Isn't solder too soft for use as a pen segment ? .... or am I misunderstanding ?
It very well may be. I tried researching solder inlays for pens, but must not have been searching with the correct terms because I didn't turn up much. I know people are using it for duck calls which is where I got the idea. It may not be ideal, but for learning, it was soft enough to to try easily. I'm open for suggestions to other ways to accomplish this. Adds a nice touch i think.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by faas View Post
Quote:
I think it was the correct size. I'll double check, but I'm pretty certain when I bought the slimline kit, I double checked the reamer on the trimmer.
I wasn't 100% sure if that was a slimline. If it is and it's a 7mm tube then you probably have the right reamer as that is (I believe) the smallest that comes with them.

Perhaps you were being too aggressive with it and it took at small chunks of material. I imagine it is sharp if it is new but you can also sharpen the cutter. I believe there is an article in the library if you don't know how to sharpen it.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faas View Post
Quote:
It very well may be. I tried researching solder inlays for pens, but must not have been searching with the correct terms because I didn't turn up much. I know people are using it for duck calls which is where I got the idea. It may not be ideal, but for learning, it was soft enough to to try easily. I'm open for suggestions to other ways to accomplish this. Adds a nice touch i think.
Many people use aluminum. I haven't heard of using solder before .... looks like it was in the form of a bar or a stick.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I wasn't 100% sure if that was a slimline. If it is and it's a 7mm tube then you probably have the right reamer as that is (I believe) the smallest that comes with them.

Perhaps you were being too aggressive with it and it took at small chunks of material. I imagine it is sharp if it is new but you can also sharpen the cutter. I believe there is an article in the library if you don't know how to sharpen it.
I didn't think about that. A little bit of tear out on the end could have caused it. The trimmer is sharp, but I probably wasn't as easy with it as I should have been.

Quote:
Many people use aluminum. I haven't heard of using solder before .... looks like it was in the form of a bar or a stick.
It was regular rolled solder. The abridged version is to make a groove just narrower than the solder with a parting tool, glue it in and solder the ends together making a seamless piece, then turn down carefully to the diameter of the pen.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faas
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens
It was regular rolled solder. The abridged version is to make a groove just narrower than the solder with a parting tool, glue it in and solder the ends together making a seamless piece, then turn down carefully to the diameter of the pen.

Solder the ends together? .... without burning the wood of the pen ?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great job for the first. Think about using a disc sander to square or even the lathe. I no longer use the trimmer. I got to much tare out and ripple. Using a small delta disk sander works great. If not happy with that touch it up with sand paper in the head stick and a punch in the tail stock to slide the tube up to the sand paper.
Great first pen. Keep turning.
Tom T is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads