first attempt at kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from The Penguin

The Penguin

"orange" Pen Makers Choice blank from CSUSA

12m x 0.75 cap thread
9m x 0.75 section thread
5mm medium Bock nib & feed

I used texatdurango's tutorial on making the section, but I made a couple of mistakes:

1. I either ran the drill bit too far in the front to allow the feed assembly - or I stripped the threads at the back - so the feed housing wants to come out. I'll either have to remake the section or put a drop of CA on it to keep it in place.

2. the ink cartridges I have will not fit in the back of the section - and if I try to drill or ream that hole any larger, the section to body threads will be very thin.

it was fun - I'm ready to do another one!

C&C welcome!

Attachments

• image-3861437512.jpg
    image-3861437512.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 248
  • image-2140897324.jpg
    image-2140897324.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 227
  • image-2652082702.jpg
    image-2652082702.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

It looks good, Once you get the kinks ironed out you'll be making some fine pens. I keep thinking about taking that step.

Texatdurango

"orange" Pen Makers Choice blank from CSUSA

12m x 0.75 cap thread
9m x 0.75 section thread
5mm medium Bock nib & feed

I used texatdurango's tutorial on making the section, but I made a couple of mistakes:

1. I either ran the drill bit too far in the front to allow the feed assembly - or I stripped the threads at the back - so the feed housing wants to come out. I'll either have to remake the section or put a drop of CA on it to keep it in place.

2. the ink cartridges I have will not fit in the back of the section - and if I try to drill or ream that hole any larger, the section to body threads will be very thin.

it was fun - I'm ready to do another one!

C&C welcome!
Well, I like the shape where the cap meets the lower body, very nice!

Since C&C are welcome..... It appears that the male threads on the lower body are pretty chalky looking. As a suggestion, when cutting threads in acrylics and Alumilite, use some lubricant, I use cheap spray cooking oil and it keeps the threads looking nice and shiny instead of dry and chalky. PM sent with some measurements that might help.

Last edited:

The Penguin

I polished that tenon before cutting the threads - I think it was a bit proud of the 12.00 diameter...and I forgot to lubricate - so yep, they are chalky.

frank123

For the section problem - have you thought about just drilling the hole larger all the way through and casting it full of Alumilite then re drilling and re tapping it?

I'm pretty new and experimenting but I've found that, at least for me, Alumilite drills and taps easier than the PR I've cast or the Acrylic blanks I've bought.

This would be the equivalent of drilling out and sleeving an oversized or worn hole in metal.

Top Bottom